Nov 8, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
While at dinner last night, Bobcats Head Coach Steve Clifford suffered chest pains. He went to the hospital and was later admitted. After testing this morning, doctors concluded that a procedure was necessary to place two stents in his heart. He is resting comfortably and is expected to re-join the team soon.
A “stent procedure” means he had angioplasty to clear a blocked artery around his heart. In those cases a balloon is inserted into a nearly blocked artery and inflated to clear the blockage, then the stent — small mesh tube — stays in place to support the narrow or weak arteries.
What the weekend off for Clifford means means for the first time ever Patrick Ewing will be an NBA head coach — and his debut comes against the Knicks franchise where he was a legendary player.
The Bobcats say Clifford could well back with the team by Monday, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
11:06 am: Charlotte Bobcats rookie coach Steve Clifford — who has gotten his team off to a surprising 3-2 start to the season — checked himself into a Charlotte area hospital Thursday night because he didn’t feel well, the team announced Friday morning.
He stayed overnight in the hospital and continues to undergo tests, according to the team.
His status to coach the Bobcats when they host the Knicks Friday night is undetermined. If he can’t go it is likely assistant Patrick Ewing will be the head coach against the Knicks.
Of course, that’s secondary to Clifford’s health. We don’t have any details so there is no way to guess if he’ll be out for any length of time.
We wish him and the Bobcats the best. Hope this is nothing serious.
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 24
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 30
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 15
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91