Nov 8, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
While at dinner last night, Bobcats Head Coach Steve Clifford suffered chest pains. He went to the hospital and was later admitted. After testing this morning, doctors concluded that a procedure was necessary to place two stents in his heart. He is resting comfortably and is expected to re-join the team soon.
A “stent procedure” means he had angioplasty to clear a blocked artery around his heart. In those cases a balloon is inserted into a nearly blocked artery and inflated to clear the blockage, then the stent — small mesh tube — stays in place to support the narrow or weak arteries.
What the weekend off for Clifford means means for the first time ever Patrick Ewing will be an NBA head coach — and his debut comes against the Knicks franchise where he was a legendary player.
The Bobcats say Clifford could well back with the team by Monday, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
11:06 am: Charlotte Bobcats rookie coach Steve Clifford — who has gotten his team off to a surprising 3-2 start to the season — checked himself into a Charlotte area hospital Thursday night because he didn’t feel well, the team announced Friday morning.
He stayed overnight in the hospital and continues to undergo tests, according to the team.
His status to coach the Bobcats when they host the Knicks Friday night is undetermined. If he can’t go it is likely assistant Patrick Ewing will be the head coach against the Knicks.
Of course, that’s secondary to Clifford’s health. We don’t have any details so there is no way to guess if he’ll be out for any length of time.
We wish him and the Bobcats the best. Hope this is nothing serious.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15