Nov 8, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
Let’s answer the big question first: No, there still is no timetable.
Nobody knows when Kobe Bryant will be back on the court with the 3-3 Los Angeles Lakers. That includes Kobe Bryant.
He traveled with the Lakers to Houston and no matter what he said you know he, Pau Gasol and Mike D’Antoni savored getting a big win over the Rockets on the road. Even if it was the bench guys (Jodie Meeks, Wes Johnson and company) that earned that win.
Bryant isn’t back in any meaningful way yet, still pushing his surgically repaired Achilles’ tendon through what he described as “the most challenging, the most tedious part” of his rehab….
“Honestly, I couldn’t tell you,” he said. “I don’t want to say something and then misjudge it. It’s tough to measure.”
So how will he know?
“Once I get out there and start moving side-to-side and start doing more change-of-direction things,” he said. “… The biggest thing with the Achilles is you have to be able to maintain your stability. So what happens when the muscle fatigues, it can’t maintain that. So a lot of people with Achilles injuries lose their explosiveness. They try to make a move and now that’s giving on them and they can’t maintain that. So you lose that pop. And that last bit is where you really fight to make sure the muscle is strong enough to be able to maintain that.”
No comment here as there is nothing really to say. Kobe will be back when he is back.
Then things get interesting to see how he reintegrates with a team that is moving the ball well, playing in the D’Antoni system and making it work.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5