Nov 7, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
It is a really good idea — the Milwaukee Bucks went and hired an artist to design their new court, and he came up with a throwback court honoring their days playing at the MECCA. It was very clever.
Only problem was, it wasn’t finished properly, so much so that in a preseason game it became so slippery the game had to be cancelled as players kept falling.
That court is getting refinished, it will be back this season. For now the Bucks are playing on their old court.
Zaza Pachulia is buying the old one for an undisclosed sum of money, he told Grantland this week. Pachulia plans to donate the old floor to the basketball academy Martve, in Tbilisi, Georgia, where Pachulia learned the game as a kid. (Toko Shengelia of the Nets also played there growing up.) Pachulia began playing there about 20 years ago, and when he went back last summer to conduct a youth clinic, he was surprised to find the same floor, he says. “It’s in really bad shape,” says Pachulia, who hasn’t yet told the school he will be supplying a new floor at some point….
“This is my dream,” Pachulia says. “I want to make this happen. It would be really exciting for me, and for the kids in Georgia, to have a chance to play on an NBA floor. So many superstars have played on that court, from the Bucks and other teams.”
The deal isn’t finalized, Pachulia is still negotiating with the Bradley Center Sports and Entertainment Corporation which owns it, but they expect to get it done.
This is a great cause. It needs to happen. Plus I love the idea of kids in Georgia playing on a Bucks NBA court, growing up to become Bucks fans.
- Klay Thompson says he expects to play next season with Warriors, not be traded 0
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 24
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 55
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 58
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 18
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 16
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19