Nov 7, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
It is a really good idea — the Milwaukee Bucks went and hired an artist to design their new court, and he came up with a throwback court honoring their days playing at the MECCA. It was very clever.
Only problem was, it wasn’t finished properly, so much so that in a preseason game it became so slippery the game had to be cancelled as players kept falling.
That court is getting refinished, it will be back this season. For now the Bucks are playing on their old court.
Zaza Pachulia is buying the old one for an undisclosed sum of money, he told Grantland this week. Pachulia plans to donate the old floor to the basketball academy Martve, in Tbilisi, Georgia, where Pachulia learned the game as a kid. (Toko Shengelia of the Nets also played there growing up.) Pachulia began playing there about 20 years ago, and when he went back last summer to conduct a youth clinic, he was surprised to find the same floor, he says. “It’s in really bad shape,” says Pachulia, who hasn’t yet told the school he will be supplying a new floor at some point….
“This is my dream,” Pachulia says. “I want to make this happen. It would be really exciting for me, and for the kids in Georgia, to have a chance to play on an NBA floor. So many superstars have played on that court, from the Bucks and other teams.”
The deal isn’t finalized, Pachulia is still negotiating with the Bradley Center Sports and Entertainment Corporation which owns it, but they expect to get it done.
This is a great cause. It needs to happen. Plus I love the idea of kids in Georgia playing on a Bucks NBA court, growing up to become Bucks fans.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 42
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11