Nov 7, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
It is a really good idea — the Milwaukee Bucks went and hired an artist to design their new court, and he came up with a throwback court honoring their days playing at the MECCA. It was very clever.
Only problem was, it wasn’t finished properly, so much so that in a preseason game it became so slippery the game had to be cancelled as players kept falling.
That court is getting refinished, it will be back this season. For now the Bucks are playing on their old court.
Zaza Pachulia is buying the old one for an undisclosed sum of money, he told Grantland this week. Pachulia plans to donate the old floor to the basketball academy Martve, in Tbilisi, Georgia, where Pachulia learned the game as a kid. (Toko Shengelia of the Nets also played there growing up.) Pachulia began playing there about 20 years ago, and when he went back last summer to conduct a youth clinic, he was surprised to find the same floor, he says. “It’s in really bad shape,” says Pachulia, who hasn’t yet told the school he will be supplying a new floor at some point….
“This is my dream,” Pachulia says. “I want to make this happen. It would be really exciting for me, and for the kids in Georgia, to have a chance to play on an NBA floor. So many superstars have played on that court, from the Bucks and other teams.”
The deal isn’t finalized, Pachulia is still negotiating with the Bradley Center Sports and Entertainment Corporation which owns it, but they expect to get it done.
This is a great cause. It needs to happen. Plus I love the idea of kids in Georgia playing on a Bucks NBA court, growing up to become Bucks fans.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20