Nov 7, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
It is a really good idea — the Milwaukee Bucks went and hired an artist to design their new court, and he came up with a throwback court honoring their days playing at the MECCA. It was very clever.
Only problem was, it wasn’t finished properly, so much so that in a preseason game it became so slippery the game had to be cancelled as players kept falling.
That court is getting refinished, it will be back this season. For now the Bucks are playing on their old court.
Zaza Pachulia is buying the old one for an undisclosed sum of money, he told Grantland this week. Pachulia plans to donate the old floor to the basketball academy Martve, in Tbilisi, Georgia, where Pachulia learned the game as a kid. (Toko Shengelia of the Nets also played there growing up.) Pachulia began playing there about 20 years ago, and when he went back last summer to conduct a youth clinic, he was surprised to find the same floor, he says. “It’s in really bad shape,” says Pachulia, who hasn’t yet told the school he will be supplying a new floor at some point….
“This is my dream,” Pachulia says. “I want to make this happen. It would be really exciting for me, and for the kids in Georgia, to have a chance to play on an NBA floor. So many superstars have played on that court, from the Bucks and other teams.”
The deal isn’t finalized, Pachulia is still negotiating with the Bradley Center Sports and Entertainment Corporation which owns it, but they expect to get it done.
This is a great cause. It needs to happen. Plus I love the idea of kids in Georgia playing on a Bucks NBA court, growing up to become Bucks fans.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29