Nov 7, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
It is a really good idea — the Milwaukee Bucks went and hired an artist to design their new court, and he came up with a throwback court honoring their days playing at the MECCA. It was very clever.
Only problem was, it wasn’t finished properly, so much so that in a preseason game it became so slippery the game had to be cancelled as players kept falling.
That court is getting refinished, it will be back this season. For now the Bucks are playing on their old court.
Zaza Pachulia is buying the old one for an undisclosed sum of money, he told Grantland this week. Pachulia plans to donate the old floor to the basketball academy Martve, in Tbilisi, Georgia, where Pachulia learned the game as a kid. (Toko Shengelia of the Nets also played there growing up.) Pachulia began playing there about 20 years ago, and when he went back last summer to conduct a youth clinic, he was surprised to find the same floor, he says. “It’s in really bad shape,” says Pachulia, who hasn’t yet told the school he will be supplying a new floor at some point….
“This is my dream,” Pachulia says. “I want to make this happen. It would be really exciting for me, and for the kids in Georgia, to have a chance to play on an NBA floor. So many superstars have played on that court, from the Bucks and other teams.”
The deal isn’t finalized, Pachulia is still negotiating with the Bradley Center Sports and Entertainment Corporation which owns it, but they expect to get it done.
This is a great cause. It needs to happen. Plus I love the idea of kids in Georgia playing on a Bucks NBA court, growing up to become Bucks fans.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 11
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 5
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 33
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 51
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 42
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28