Nov 7, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
The evolution of DeMarcus Cousins and Sacramento Kings leader is still ongoing. It’s the same old situation with him — video tape cleared him of a flagrant foul call and led to a suspension for Atlanta’s Dennis Schroeder for hitting Cousins in the groin; but he was having a bad game before and lost his focus after those events, and if you are the team leader that can’t happen. You’ve got to play through it and get the team wins.
But that’s not all new Kings coach Mike Malone wants to see him working on.
“He has to do a better job with his low-post defense,” coach Michael Malone said, “and we have to do a better job of helping him. And to his credit, the non-basketball stuff … I give him a ton of credit. He’s really trying to contain his emotions and handle it.”
Post players are shooting 53.8 percent on Cousins so far this season (small sample size theater here, so be careful with big conclusions). Watching the video on the post ups against him (via Synergy Sports), Cousins is letting guys get comfortable — they get position and they get the shot they usually want, he doesn’t push them off the block or seem to alter their plans.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $25,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday, Nov. 8th games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the link.
It’s not simply Cousins in the post that’s an issue. The Kings are 1-3 to start the season and a lot of that can be chalked up to a defense 26th in the league in points allowed per possession so far. Opponents are shooting 48 percent overall (28th in the league) and 40.9 percent from three (27th). That’s what Malone meant by getting Cousins help.
But he has to do his part as well. I like that Malone is pushing Cousins on these things.
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 0
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 53
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 11
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 15
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14