Nov 7, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
A series of knee injuries and setbacks during the rehabilitation process kept Bynum from ever playing a single game in Philadelphia, and he was allowed to leave as an unrestricted free agent without the team receiving anything in return.
Bynum is far from 100 percent from a health standpoint, but he is playing limited minutes this season for the Cavaliers. And he’ll be playing when his new team faces his old one in Philadelphia on Friday.
Cleveland Cavaliers center Andrew Bynum told reporters he would play against the 76ers Friday night at the Wells Fargo Center. The former Sixer said he would sit out Saturday’s contest against Philadelphia in Cleveland.
“I think they’ll probably boo, but that’s their choice,” Bynum said of Sixers fans during Wednesday’s shootaround in Milwaukee. “It wasn’t my choice to get rid of me. I don’t feel bad at all. . . . If I was not hurt, I would’ve played. That’s really the end to that story.”
Of course they’ll boo. Despite the injuries, there’s a perception (right or wrong) that Bynum didn’t do everything possible to get back on the court during his time with the Sixers, and fans don’t tend to appreciate that.
Aside from the fact that Bynum never played for the Sixers, the fact that he left without compensation helped plunge the team into the full-fledged rebuilding situation it finds itself in now.
The early season wins have been fun, but that’s not going to last, and when the losses start to pile up and the team’s veterans are eventually traded for future building blocks, Bynum will be viewed as a big contributing factor as the team goes through that process.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 8
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 30
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 83
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 54
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4