Nov 6, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
Because Derrick Rose hasn’t had enough problems adjusting to this season…
He tweaked a neck muscle in the Bulls season opener against the Heat, so by Game 2 on Halloween against the Knicks he was wearing some Kinesio-Tape that came up on the back of his neck to give him support.
Now the league has asked him to stop wearing it starting Wednesday night against the Pacers, Rose told Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
“I think the NBA told me I got to stop,” the point guard said before the Bulls’ morning shootaround at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. “So I probably won’t be able to wear it tonight.”
When asked why the league, known for strict protocol on non-uniform accessories, decreed that he couldn’t wear the black Kinesio-Tape strips, which resembled a chin strap, Rose answered with a smirk, “I don’t know. I don’t even want to get into that. I don’t know. I swear I don’t know.”
I think “why” is a pretty good question.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $75,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday, Nov. 6th games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the link.
The league has always had strict uniform policies — you can’t just wear a sleeve on your arm, you need a medical reason to do so. That’s fine. Leagues are into that.
But this tape is medical — it is supporting a strained neck. It may not be a perfect match with uniform code but it’s not decorative. It is there so a player can perform better (Rose’s struggles aside, those are not tape related).
It’s an odd call from the league that claims to be about player health.
Rose has struggled to start the season, shooting just 28.8 percent overall and 26.7 percent from three. He is still explosive and attacking the rim but is not finishing like he used to, shooting just 34.5 percent inside 8 feet of the rim. He’s also shooting 14.3 percent from the midrange. Nothing is falling as Rose looks like a guy still trying to adjust to going at game speed.
Going against the very stout Pacers defense with Roy Hibbert protecting the paint isn’t likely to help those numbers at all.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4