Nov 6, 2013, 5:38 PM EDT
When asked first asked, the league said it was banning kinesio tape in general, but after speaking to the NBA players union the league has reversed course for now.
“After a discussion today with Jerry Stackhouse, representing the union, we have decided to allow kinesio tape on an experimental basis so that we can take a fresh look at the possible benefits it might bring to our players,” Tim Frank, NBA Senior Vice President, Basketball Communications, told ProBasketballTalk in an email.
While you see a lot of athletes wearing kinesio tape — check out a major tennis match some time — the benefits are unproven. Tests have been inconclusive and some experts are skeptical that it has any benefits, and apparently the skeptics extend all the way to the league offices. It is thought by some any benefit from the tape is a placebo effect.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $75,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday, Nov. 6th games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the link.
I think the league made the right call here. No, the benefits of kinesio tape are not proven, however, the league hadn’t stopped players from wearing bracelets with a magnet in them where the company that manufactures them has had to pay out tens of millions of dollars in lawsuit settlements over false claims about the impacts of the bands. Where the league draws the line on this seems pretty arbitrary, as some studies found some benefits for kinesio tape in certain situations.
Bottom line is if he wants to, Derrick Rose can tape up for the Bulls game against the Pacers Wednesday night, and other players can follow in his footsteps.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 8
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 46
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43