Steve Nash says he still feels impact of broken leg last season

Nov 5, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

We’ve detailed before that Steve Nash is battling a lot of heath issues still, is going to sit out some back-to-backs, and in general all of this worries the Lakers. It shouldn’t be a shock, he is 39 about to turn 40 this season with 17 years of the NBA grind wearing down on his body. A step back is expected, the only question is how big?

The result through three games (he sat out one Lakers game) have been very big — 7 points a game on 29.2 shooting, plus 5.3 assists per game. Not very Nash-like numbers.

Nash says the physical issues really go back to the broken leg that kept him out at the start of last season. That’s what he told Eric Pincus of the Los Angeles Times.

“I’m still fighting things that happened because of the broken leg,” Nash said. “I still feel that almost every day, all over. It’s not just in that spot. The whole system in a way is different now, it’s just a little bit more sensitive.”

Nash played much better Sunday in the Lakers win over the Hawks than he did in the first couple games. Maybe he can play his way into shape.

The Lakers really need him to as the up-and-down squad trys to find some consistency. They will count on Nash to give them that. We’ll see if he can still deliver.

1. JHathwell - Nov 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I think 2 or 3 games is too soon to write the guy off, especially after the leg injury. Nash is one of those athletes that is really in tune with his body, so I’m sure he’s expecting to make a further recovery and thus play better.

One can only hope.

• dls612 - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM

The broken leg issue is just one of a host of many injuries he had or have to battle with plus his age! Reality can’t and won’t lie! That’s why it’s called reality! Honestly how much longer can he play at even a decent level while playing on a team that is so far from contention. REALITY!!!!

• JHathwell - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Even with those other issues he was still plenty productive. The broken leg is where the numbers really dip.

Also, not sure what his play has to do with the lakers not being contenders? What does this even mean?

• dls612 - Nov 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM

He’s one of the greats I want to see win a title! What do you think he’s playing for? Just to say, hey I played with Kobe! I think the reasons he want to be healthy and to be a factor is to be at his best so that they can be a contender! Thats what his play has to do with it!

2. antistratfordian - Nov 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Kobe will be singing this same tune when he comes back.

3. sfsugator - Nov 5, 2013 at 7:42 PM

The lakers gave up way too much for this hall of famer

4. wearewhowethoughtwewere - Nov 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Someday, Tom Cruise will make the Steve Nash story

5. jerdogthompson - Nov 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I honestly feel bad for the Lakers. From going from on top of the world last year to what seemingly appears to be fodder for the rest of the playoff teams in the league this year.

about the time this posts I will be inundated by a mob of Laker fans reminding oh yeah, 16 baby, when Kobe comes back, oh yeah, when we reload in 2015, oh yeah ad nauseum.

Unfortunately those same fans are looking squarely in the rear view mirror and not recognizing how different not only the league is now (not to mention when the Lakers won 6 chips in Minnesota) but how different their ownership is.

Bombard me with oh you Haters gonna hate, fact is I’m not hating I’m simply bringing to life the facts the 98% of Laker fans refuse to acknowledge. Which is fine but your gonna be much happier accepting reality and stop expecting your team to be the focus of the league and every quality free agent because it isn’t any longer. Sorry to have to break it you all but someone had to. Enjoy the Mavericks game or should I say beating?

• asimonetti88 - Nov 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM

All I hear from you is how bad the Lakers are. And yet we still beat your Clippers.

6. nativetexan2012 - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:25 PM

This is not an age-related issue. It’s totally the result of a very severe injury. Still believe in Steve Nash.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches