Portland’s LaMarcus Aldridge: “I’m happy here right now”

Nov 5, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT

LaMarcus Aldridge AP

Much to the disgust of GM Neil Olshey, reports of an unhappy LaMarcus Aldridge and possible trades would not go away over the past year. No matter what Aldridge said. Or Olshey. Or anyone.

Aldridge admitted to Sam Amick of the USA Today there were some things that made him uncomfortable last year in Portland, however he also seems happier and more settled now in the Pacific Northwest than he has in a while. It’s amazing what some talent around him and a nice 2-1 start can do to improve one’s disposition. Aldridge is putting up big numbers this season early on — 25.7 points per game on 53.8 percent shooting, plus 6.7 rebounds a game.

“I’m happy here right now,” Aldridge told USA TODAY Sports while sitting on a bench inside the team’s practice facility. “I feel like we have a team that can win, that can make noise, and I feel like if we buy in then anything is possible. So I’m happy, and it’s still my team and I’m playing well.

“I feel like the team has jelled around me. I feel like coach (Terry Stotts) has trusted me more this year to where I’m getting different opportunities that I didn’t get last year, so I think everything is going great right now.”

Yes, Aldridge is leaning on the “right now” qualifier in there, but pretty much all the potential elite free agents in the NBA use something like that. They want their options open, even if they don’t plan to leave (see: Anthony, Carmelo).

However, the changes in the approach of coach Terry Stotts seems to sit well with Aldridge, who admitted that wasn’t the case last season.

“I think having Terry adjust to having older players has been great too,” Aldridge continued. “I feel like last year, we were so young that it was just too strict for me last year. I went from having (teammates in) Marcus Camby, Andre Miller and Gerald Wallace – (players) who coaches know that those guys are pros so it wasn’t as strict – to having this really young team last year where everything was just so strict that I didn’t know how to handle it. But this year I feel like coach is giving us a little bit more leeway of (saying) ‘I have veterans now,’ so it’s been good for me.”

Aldridge has two seasons and $30.8 million left on this contract, then at age 30 he should get one more healthy kick at the can with a big deal. With that last deal he’s going to want to get paid (and the two-time All-Star will) but he also will want to win. If Olshey can put together a roster around him, Damian Lillard and others who can do that Aldridge likely stays.

But that’s two years away. Right now he’s happy, and that’s all you can ask for.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Magic plan to give GM Rob Hennigan a contract extension

Mar 30, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT

Orlando Magic fire head coach Jacque Vaughn Orlando Magic fire head coach Jacque Vaughn

Hennigan has done a solid job with the rebuild in his first three seasons.

2. DeAndre Jordan with a ridiculous alley-oop finish, even for him (VIDEO)

Mar 29, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

DeAndre Jordan, Evan Turner DeAndre Jordan, Evan Turner

The Clippers beat the Celtics and had the best highlight of the game.

3. Enes Kanter soaks up Jazz fans’ boos, but Thunder lose

Mar 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz

Kanter found a way to motivate the Jazz in the dog days of the season, and the Thunder lost in part because of it.

4. Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion

Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

“You don’t have to be best friends to come out here and work together.”

5. Golden State picks up 60th win, clinches top seed in the West

Mar 29, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT

Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry AP

The Golden State Warriors are the team to beat out West.

6. NBA, Pacers issue statement in response to Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act law

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Adam Silver AP

Legislation was signed into law in Indiana last week, and has been criticized as one that could legalize discrimination.

7. Hawks to rest all five starters Saturday after clinching East’s top seed

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

Hornets, still fighting for a playoff spot, catch a break.

8. Stan Van Gundy: ‘Absolutely no chance’ Magic induct him into team Hall of Fame

Mar 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Stan Van Gundy Stan Van Gundy

Van Gundy coached five seasons in Orlando, but was fired after the way the Dwight Howard debacle played out.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches