Nov 5, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
There was a time when any conversation about “the best shooter in the game today” began with the sweet left-handed stroke of Michael Redd.
The All-Star and Olympic gold medalist who spent 11 of his 12 NBA seasons in Milwaukee will officially retire on Wednesday between the first and second quarters as the Bucks take on the Cavaliers, the team has announced.
Redd was out of the game last season and spent his final NBA year in Phoenix, but he will be remembered as a Buck.
Redd averaged 19 points per game and shot 38 percent from three over his career, in which he was fourth on the Bucks all-time scoring list. He still holds the Bucks records for most points in a game (57 against Utah on Nov. 11, 2006) and he holds the NBA record for most three pointers in a quarter — eight in the final frame against Houston on Feb. 20, 2002.
The team noted he is all over the Bucks record books: scoring average (5th – 20.0 ppg); games (7th, 578); minutes (5th, 19,334); field goals made (7th, 4,063); field goals attempted (4th, 9,045); three-point field goals made (2nd, 1,003); three-point field goals attempted (1st, 2,619); three-point field goal percentage (8th, .383); free throws made (2nd, 2,425); free throws attempted (3rd, 2,887); and free throw percentage (10th, .840).
Redd was a popular Buck but had the last few years of his career derailed by knee injuries. It was a rough way to end what had been an impressive NBA career for a guy drafted in the second round (No. 43 overall in 2000, the draft where Kenyon Martin went No. 1).
This is a guy who is part of Bucks lore; we knew the franchise would give him a proper and classy send off.
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 6
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 29
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35