Andrew Bynum playing through “little sharp pains” in his knees

Nov 5, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT

Andrew Bynum, Nikola Pekovic AP

Andrew Bynum played 18 minutes for the Cavaliers Monday night, his third game of the young season. He had 10 points on 2-of-6 shooting and he got to the free throw line six times.

He did that through some pain that is still in his knees.

That’s what he said after the game, as reported by the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Preparing to play his third game of the season, Bynum acknowledged that he had experienced “little, sharp pains” and said he wasn’t sure his explosiveness would return. He’s still working on his conditioning and timing….

Asked about having to change his game if his explosiveness doesn’t return, he said he would rely on footwork and skills instead of athleticism.

That he is still playing through knee pain is both troublesome and not a surprise. He said it’s not so bad and can play through it, but still this is not a good sign,

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $75,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday, Nov. 6th games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the link.

Monday was his best outing yet, those minutes mattering in what ended up being a 92-91 win over Minnesota. Even slowed he is a big defensive presence in the paint. Cleveland is hoping for more like this game, and even better, as they try to claw toward a playoff berth in the East.

1. kb2408 - Nov 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t recall Bynum ever having any explosiveness. He was always sort of a plodding big man. Anyway, I hope he gets right physically and can restart his career.

• zxrated - Nov 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Bynum had Javale McGee like hops early on as a Laker. Look up his Dunk over Shaq. Once his knees went bad it was a wrap on that. Couple this with the muscle and weight gain as he grew into his body.

• antistratfordian - Nov 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM

“Bynum had Javale McGee like hops…”

No way, Jose. Not even once.

• zxrated - Nov 5, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Then you never saw Bynum with the Lakers 05-08…

• antistratfordian - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Still no evidence of McGee-ish hops. That’s an exaggeration and a half.

• 00maltliquor - Nov 5, 2013 at 10:50 PM

@ zxrated

Man…what were you sippin’ on that night you thought you saw those alleged hops??? I need to get me some!

• 00maltliquor - Nov 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Just watched the the vid and still no evidence. Sorry bruh, nice try.

• zxrated - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM

we’ll agree to disagree. I saw a young big man moving with plenty of athleticism.

2. cmarsh64 - Nov 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM

He will be injured again by the All star break and sit the bench as usual. By saying thishe’s creating an out fr down the road.

• therealhtj - Nov 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

The pain will be too much to bear right around the time the contract becomes fully guaranteed.

3. kingwithringz - Nov 5, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Still the second best center in the league behind Dwight.

• ryanrockzzz - Nov 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Ha…I’ll assume your post was a bad stab at sarcasm. Plus I have that Sixer hate for Bynum…what an ass he was last year in Philly to everyone. So I admit, I’m a little biased. And I had the absurd thought players like Marc Gasol, Demarcus Cousins, Brook Lopez, Joakim Noah, Roy Hibbert, Al Horford, Spencer Hawes, Jonas Valacanius, or Anthony Davis were all better this year. Damn…..guess I better re-educate myself on Bynum….I mean he’s been better than Al-Jeff…

• redbaronx - Nov 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM

@kingwithringz – I think I could name 10 other centers better than him at this point in time (6 points per game is not very impressive…), but I’ll name five off the top of my head.

Brooks Lopez
      Marc Gasol
      Pau Gasol
      Tyson Chandler
      DeAndre Jordan

• redbaronx - Nov 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM

My apologies to Zach Randolph and others who should be named before Bynum.

4. papichulo55 - Nov 5, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Bynum is the 2nd best center in the NBA for the 2013-2014 season? Wow. Can I join your fantasy league?

5. miamatt - Nov 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I’m not wishing injury on anybody, but this sounds like step one towards being done for the season by New Year’s Eve.

6. louhudson23 - Nov 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Bums are bums. Bynum is a bum.

7. laker1fan - Nov 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM

This story is wrong. The sharp pains statement was before the game, not after.: (“Preparing” to play his third game of the season, Bynum acknowledged that he had experienced “little, sharp pains”) .. There is no report that he had sharp pains “after” the Timberwolves game.

8. dirtydrew - Nov 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM

He is always hurt.

9. phillysports1 - Nov 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Demarcus cousins ? Tyson chandler ? Deandre Jordan ? Marc gasol ? Andrew bogut ? Tim Duncan ?

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches