Zach Randolph says he wants to retire a Grizzly, isn’t sure what will happen

Nov 4, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT

Zach Randolph, Monta Ellis, Samuel Dalembert AP

This summer Zach Randolph can and most likely will opt out of the last year of his contract. He will walk away from $16.5 million guaranteed to seek the security of a longer deal, but that raises questions for Memphis. At age 32 now, how long do they want to sign him for? And if they might lose him to another team, is the smart move to trade him at the deadline this season and get something in return?

Through all that, Randolph wants to stay with a Grizzlies team that made the conference Finals last season and is hoping to build on that.

That’s what Randolph told Marc Stein of ESPN in a Q&A.

“I’d like to be here. I’d like to retire here. You never know. If I’ve got to make some sacrifices to be here, I would. I still can play. I can still help a team out. I want to win a championship. I’ve made all the money in the world. I just want to win. I don’t know yet [about opting in or opting out], but Memphis is my home. If they trade me tomorrow, I’m here. I just bought a new house. My daughters go to school [in Memphis]. That’s my home.”

That he would take a pay cut to stay is certainly good news, although how much of a cut remains to be seen. Would he take four years at $8-9 million per year?

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday, Nov. 4th games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

If Memphis is trying to build a contender, the question it has to ask itself is if you do that better around Mike Conley, Marc Gasol and somebody other than Randolph? There have been rumors that the Grizzlies are quietly seeing what the market for Randolph would be. The question isn’t can Randolph contribute but more one of fit — can their big, grit-and-grind lineup thrive as a number of other teams go smaller? Do they need to move Randolph to get the other pieces they need?

Which is to say, even if Zach wants to stay it may be out of his hands.

Latest Posts
  1. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court?

Apr 21, 2015, 12:14 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrkyze4nmfkytlhmjnjodc4mjk4mgq0nzixowuwndg2 AP

Pierce’s comments made him unpopular north of the border, but his play should bother the Raptors more.

2. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard

Apr 20, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard

He was simply the most dominant player in Game 1 of the Mavericks vs. Rockets series.

3. Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James

Apr 20, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Charlotte Bobcats - Game Four Getty Images

I could try to use logic and suggest that discussing the complete legacy of Jordan with the incomplete legacy of James is a fool’s errand. But this is the Internet, logic is not always welcome.

4. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge

Apr 20, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT

Kyrie Irving Kyrie Irving

What you want to see as a Boston fan is Smart embrace the challenge.

5. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson

Apr 20, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One

Also, Tyreke Evans is a game-time decision after his injury in the playoff opener.

6. Clippers will rebrand this summer, new potential logos leaked

Apr 20, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT

Screen-shot-2015-04-17-at-10.35.11-PM

The Clippers need a rebranding, but the leaked images are not winning over new fans.

7. Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing

Apr 20, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Memphis Grizzlies - Game One Getty Images

And he’s not the only Portland player worried about Aldridge leaving

Can Michael Carter-Williams slow Derrick Rose?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches