Nov 4, 2013, 3:25 PM EST
Randy Wittman should be pissed off. John Wall came back with what early on looks like the same old jump shot (9-of-29 outside the paint so far this season). The top 10 defense the Wizards built last season is gone, they are allowing 108.1 points per 100 possessions through three games (think they don’t miss Emeka Okafor?).
With an owner who is demanding a playoff berth and a GM who also may feel his seat getting warm, well, that’s the kind of storm that gets a coach fired early in the season.
So Wittman let out a little of that frustration Friday night after his team lost 109-102 to the 76ers on Friday and used some expletives during his post-game press conference. When asked what he thought the problem was, Wittman said a “commitment to playing $*#&%ing defense” and dropped another bomb in the same answer.
That’s a no-no in the media friendly NBA world, so Monday the league slapped him with a $20,000 fine.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday, Nov. 4th games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Washington is 0-3 to start the season and have the surprisingly hot 76ers, Nets and Thunder this week. If they fall to 0-6, at least behind closed doors you can bet on more expletives.
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 2
- Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks 7
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 9
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9