Nov 4, 2013, 7:29 PM EDT
Victor Oladipo is off to the stellar start to the season that some of us expected, showcasing a nice combination of speed, athleticism and vision on both ends of the floor on the way to averages of 13.8 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 1.8 steals in his first four games.
He also showed a flair for bringing the excitement on Sunday, when he got loose for a 360-slam in his team’s win over the Nets.
Oladipo’s dunking ability is above average, and his newness to the NBA game has him eager to achieve as much as possible, at least in these early days of his career.
Magic guard Victor Oladipo told me after the club’s win against the Brooklyn Nets that he would be interested in competing in the slam-dunk contest during All-Star Weekend.
Oladipo turned in an eye-opening audition Sunday night, completing a 360-degree dunk off a steal from Nets point guard Deron Williams.
“My teammates kept telling me to be aggressive. I just listened,” Oladipo said.
Orlando isn’t expected to do anything this season in terms of making a run at a playoff spot, so this might be the best time for Oladipo to declare his interest.
Many players who log heavy regular season minutes on teams expected to play into the postseason relish the All-Star weekend break to rest and recharge for the second half of the season, but an athletic rookie on a non-playoff squad should have no trouble gearing up for one of the main events of the midseason showcase.
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 0
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 19
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19