Nov 4, 2013, 7:29 PM EDT
Victor Oladipo is off to the stellar start to the season that some of us expected, showcasing a nice combination of speed, athleticism and vision on both ends of the floor on the way to averages of 13.8 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 1.8 steals in his first four games.
He also showed a flair for bringing the excitement on Sunday, when he got loose for a 360-slam in his team’s win over the Nets.
Oladipo’s dunking ability is above average, and his newness to the NBA game has him eager to achieve as much as possible, at least in these early days of his career.
Magic guard Victor Oladipo told me after the club’s win against the Brooklyn Nets that he would be interested in competing in the slam-dunk contest during All-Star Weekend.
Oladipo turned in an eye-opening audition Sunday night, completing a 360-degree dunk off a steal from Nets point guard Deron Williams.
“My teammates kept telling me to be aggressive. I just listened,” Oladipo said.
Orlando isn’t expected to do anything this season in terms of making a run at a playoff spot, so this might be the best time for Oladipo to declare his interest.
Many players who log heavy regular season minutes on teams expected to play into the postseason relish the All-Star weekend break to rest and recharge for the second half of the season, but an athletic rookie on a non-playoff squad should have no trouble gearing up for one of the main events of the midseason showcase.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 7
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7