Nov 4, 2013, 3:56 PM EST
All you need to know about how Phoenix felt about Kendall Marshall is that last summer they traded for Eric Bledsoe and kept Goran Dragic. Of, if that wasn’t enough, they threw him in to match salaries in the Marcin Gortat trade, then the Wizards promptly waived him.
Because he’s got playmaking skills, he becomes a potential free agent project for another team, and the Celtics could be that team… except for the price, reports the Boston Globe (at tip Eye on Basketball).
Marshall is a pass-first point guard whose style never fit with the Suns, but he could serve as a solid backup for a building team. The Celtics would likely be interested in Marshall if his salary didn’t push them above the luxury tax and make them a repeat offender, something ownership desperately wants to avoid during this rebuilding phase.
You’re going to see a lot of this going forward: Teams are very wary of the tax line and the repeater tax, so if they can do something to get under it they will. (Watch the Clippers make a salary-move this year like dumping Willie Green to get under the line, for example.)
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday, Nov. 4th games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Marshall does show playmaking skills, the problem is he can’t shoot (37.1 percent last season) and he doesn’t defend all that well. Maybe on a minimum salary at the end of the bench a team would take a gamble, but it’s not worth going over the tax line for him.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 0
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 16
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11