Nov 4, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Kevin Love is leading the league in points per game (29.7), second in rebounds per game (14.7) and so he wanted to be one of the first to get a flopping warning from the league also.
Well, congratulations, you’ve done it.
Love’s came in the third quarter against the Knicks. He had the ball out by the three point line and Kevin Martin came around him, using Love as a screen. Rookie Tim Hardaway Jr. was on Martin and ran into Love, and the much larger Love went down pretty easily.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday, Nov. 4th games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Brewer’s flop came in the fourth quarter of the same game, when he tried to follow his man Carmelo Anthony, went too low and Tyson Chandler set a screen that was giving Anthony an open look. Not able to contest the shot, Brewer ran into Chandler and tried to sell the foul as he acted like he ran into a brick wall.
Mills’ flop was Friday against the Lakers. He rotated over to just outside the restricted area as the Lakers’ Jordan Hill went up for a shot, and when touched he went down. Honestly, I could go either way on this one, it didn’t strike me as that big an embellishment, at least compared to the first two here.
Pachulia’s flop came Friday against Boston. He was standing near the elbow on defense waiting for his man Jared Sullinger to come down, and when Sullinger touched him Pachulia fell like a car hit him. It was a flop — it also worked, he got the offensive foul call.
The first time a player is deemed to flop by the league he gets a warning, the second time it is a $5,000 fine and the fines go up from there by $5,000 increments. We saw last year this was largely ineffective but the league decided to stick with the same plan that wasn’t working this year. Expect more of these warnings and some fines to come. Not that it changes anything.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 11
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 6
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 32
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2