Nov 4, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Kevin Love is leading the league in points per game (29.7), second in rebounds per game (14.7) and so he wanted to be one of the first to get a flopping warning from the league also.
Well, congratulations, you’ve done it.
Love’s came in the third quarter against the Knicks. He had the ball out by the three point line and Kevin Martin came around him, using Love as a screen. Rookie Tim Hardaway Jr. was on Martin and ran into Love, and the much larger Love went down pretty easily.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday, Nov. 4th games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Brewer’s flop came in the fourth quarter of the same game, when he tried to follow his man Carmelo Anthony, went too low and Tyson Chandler set a screen that was giving Anthony an open look. Not able to contest the shot, Brewer ran into Chandler and tried to sell the foul as he acted like he ran into a brick wall.
Mills’ flop was Friday against the Lakers. He rotated over to just outside the restricted area as the Lakers’ Jordan Hill went up for a shot, and when touched he went down. Honestly, I could go either way on this one, it didn’t strike me as that big an embellishment, at least compared to the first two here.
Pachulia’s flop came Friday against Boston. He was standing near the elbow on defense waiting for his man Jared Sullinger to come down, and when Sullinger touched him Pachulia fell like a car hit him. It was a flop — it also worked, he got the offensive foul call.
The first time a player is deemed to flop by the league he gets a warning, the second time it is a $5,000 fine and the fines go up from there by $5,000 increments. We saw last year this was largely ineffective but the league decided to stick with the same plan that wasn’t working this year. Expect more of these warnings and some fines to come. Not that it changes anything.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 9
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 12
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 17
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11