Nov 4, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Kevin Love is leading the league in points per game (29.7), second in rebounds per game (14.7) and so he wanted to be one of the first to get a flopping warning from the league also.
Well, congratulations, you’ve done it.
Love’s came in the third quarter against the Knicks. He had the ball out by the three point line and Kevin Martin came around him, using Love as a screen. Rookie Tim Hardaway Jr. was on Martin and ran into Love, and the much larger Love went down pretty easily.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday, Nov. 4th games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Brewer’s flop came in the fourth quarter of the same game, when he tried to follow his man Carmelo Anthony, went too low and Tyson Chandler set a screen that was giving Anthony an open look. Not able to contest the shot, Brewer ran into Chandler and tried to sell the foul as he acted like he ran into a brick wall.
Mills’ flop was Friday against the Lakers. He rotated over to just outside the restricted area as the Lakers’ Jordan Hill went up for a shot, and when touched he went down. Honestly, I could go either way on this one, it didn’t strike me as that big an embellishment, at least compared to the first two here.
Pachulia’s flop came Friday against Boston. He was standing near the elbow on defense waiting for his man Jared Sullinger to come down, and when Sullinger touched him Pachulia fell like a car hit him. It was a flop — it also worked, he got the offensive foul call.
The first time a player is deemed to flop by the league he gets a warning, the second time it is a $5,000 fine and the fines go up from there by $5,000 increments. We saw last year this was largely ineffective but the league decided to stick with the same plan that wasn’t working this year. Expect more of these warnings and some fines to come. Not that it changes anything.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 40
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18