Nov 3, 2013, 2:56 PM EST
Remember how Russell Westbrook had to have a second knee surgery to clean up a loose stitch and that was going to force him to miss the first month of the season or so?
What they meant was two games.
Westbrook has cleared all his medical benchmarks and is physically ready to go, so he will play Sunday night at home when the Thunder host the Phoenix Suns, tweets Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman. He has been out since tearing the lateral meniscus in his right knee during the first round of the playoffs last year against Houston.
There had been reports of him looking good in practice for a week but the Thunder have been cautious with their timetables. They didn’t want to rush him back, they need him right.
Oklahoma City started the season 1-1 without Westbrook, relying on the Kevin Durant show to win games, but they are vastly more dangerous with Westbrook on the court as an option. The Thunder don’t exactly run complex, Spurs-like sets, they just rely on you not being able to match up with their stars. That worked to the tune of 60 wins last season, thank you very much.
Expect a little rust on Westbrook, no matter how he has looked in practice and workouts it’s not the same as game speed (just ask Derrick Rose, although his ACL was a more serious injury). Plus, the Suns have played surprisingly good defense in their first two games (opponents are shooting 38.6 percent overall and 30.2 percent from three).
Still, in a deep West where lost games could hurt playoff seedings, his speedy recovery is huge.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13