Report: Bulls front office taking an ‘active role’ in telling coach Thibodeau how to manage players’ minutes
Nov 3, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
No one in their right mind has questioned the coaching ability of Tom Thibodeau, who was the defensive coordinator of sorts with Doc Rivers and the Celtics during their 2008 championship run, and is now in his fourth season as head coach of the Chicago Bulls.
Thibodeau is a motivator who gets the most out of his players, and is more than solid on the Xs and Os side of things. If he has a weakness, it’s that he’s guilty of playing his guys heavier minutes than usual, even in times where they may not be playing at 100 percent.
That issue may or may not be a contributing factor to the injuries suffered to the likes of Joakim Noah and Luol Deng last season, and with Noah battling a groin issue since early in the preseason, it appears that those in the front office have deemed it time for Thibodeau to make an adjustment.
Tom Thibodeau is one of the NBA’s top coaches, but when it comes to managing minutes of his top players, he is going to get some help. Even if he doesn’t want it. The Bulls’ front office has been taking an active role in telling Thibodeau how he’ll dispense minutes to Joakim Noah, among others. And these are two parties that have had their differences in the past.
The differences the piece refers to cost Thibodeau one of his top assistant coaches in Ron Adams, who was let go by GM Gar Forman this past summer.
This latest intrusion may ultimately for the best of the players on the roster, but you can bet that Thibodeau won’t appreciate his bosses interfering in day-to-day basketball decisions. If at some point the relationship ends up with Thibodeau coaching elsewhere, we’ll have witnessed the steps along the way that ultimately contributed to that potential parting of ways.
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 4
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 5
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (39)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)