Report: Bulls front office taking an ‘active role’ in telling coach Thibodeau how to manage players’ minutes
Nov 3, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
No one in their right mind has questioned the coaching ability of Tom Thibodeau, who was the defensive coordinator of sorts with Doc Rivers and the Celtics during their 2008 championship run, and is now in his fourth season as head coach of the Chicago Bulls.
Thibodeau is a motivator who gets the most out of his players, and is more than solid on the Xs and Os side of things. If he has a weakness, it’s that he’s guilty of playing his guys heavier minutes than usual, even in times where they may not be playing at 100 percent.
That issue may or may not be a contributing factor to the injuries suffered to the likes of Joakim Noah and Luol Deng last season, and with Noah battling a groin issue since early in the preseason, it appears that those in the front office have deemed it time for Thibodeau to make an adjustment.
Tom Thibodeau is one of the NBA’s top coaches, but when it comes to managing minutes of his top players, he is going to get some help. Even if he doesn’t want it. The Bulls’ front office has been taking an active role in telling Thibodeau how he’ll dispense minutes to Joakim Noah, among others. And these are two parties that have had their differences in the past.
The differences the piece refers to cost Thibodeau one of his top assistant coaches in Ron Adams, who was let go by GM Gar Forman this past summer.
This latest intrusion may ultimately for the best of the players on the roster, but you can bet that Thibodeau won’t appreciate his bosses interfering in day-to-day basketball decisions. If at some point the relationship ends up with Thibodeau coaching elsewhere, we’ll have witnessed the steps along the way that ultimately contributed to that potential parting of ways.
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 6
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 22
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 43