Nicolas Batum apologetic after getting triple-double by launching last-second shot

Nov 3, 2013, 12:30 PM EST

Nicolas Batum recorded the first triple-double of the NBA season on Saturday, finishing with 11 points, 12 rebounds and 11 assists in the Blazers’ win over the Spurs.

The problem, at least in Batum’s eyes, was the way in which he ultimately achieved this statistical feat.

The game’s outcome had firmly been decided, with Portland leading by seven points and in possession of the ball with just four seconds remaining. Instead of dribbling out the clock, Batum impulsively launched a long three-pointer that fell through the net as the final buzzer sounded.

But there was no celebration, no running around, and barely even a smile.

Batum immediately regretted his decision, and while his teammates celebrated around him in the postgame locker room, he was clearly disappointed in himself for taking that final shot.

From Joe Freeman of The Oregonian:

“That is maybe the worst thing I’ve done in my career,” Batum said. …

“It went in —  I was like, ‘Oh, no,” Batum said of his reaction. “I didn’t mean to disrespect this team. This is the San Antonio Spurs, the best team from the last 15 years in the NBA. I’ve never disrespected this team. I love this team. I have a lot of friends on this team.”

In the visiting locker room at the Moda Center, the Spurs (2-1) weren’t too concerned. Batum’s good friend, Tony Parker, offered congratulations. Even surly coach Gregg Popovich shrugged it off.

“Why would I be mad at that?” Popovich said. “He’s a good kid. I don’t care.” …

“I know this is a bad thing to do,” Batum said. “I want to apologize to the Spurs organization, because that didn’t show good (respect) for the game, for myself, for the Blazers. I don’t really want to disrespect this team.”

Batum’s reaction, both on the court and in the locker room afterward, tells you that he knows what he did was wrong. This wasn’t an Andray Blatche or Ricky Davis situation; Batum made a poor decision in the moment, and immediately regretted it afterward.

Tim Duncan‘s on-court reaction, though (via Bruce Ely) was priceless.

Latest Posts
  1. Greg Monroe’s agent says center could stay with Pistons this summer

Mar 2, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Has his extra run and touches since Josh Smith was released changing the dynamic in Detroit?

2. PBT Extra: James Harden makes MVP push, Rockets keep on winning

Mar 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Nobody is talking about Dwight Howard as long as the Rockets are winning.

3. Nene on the Bulls: ‘I hate them’

Mar 2, 2015, 3:08 PM EST

Nene, Joakim Noah Nene, Joakim Noah

Wizards forward has twice been suspended following altercations with Chicago

4. Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury

Mar 2, 2015, 1:45 PM EST

Jimmy Butler, Jamal Crawford AP

Bulls facing big challenge without their best player

5. Doc Rivers on DeAndre Jordan for Defensive Player of the Year: ‘If anybody else gets that award, we need to have an investigation’

Mar 2, 2015, 1:18 PM EST

DeAndre Jordan, AP

Clippers coach: ‘What he’s doing defensively, if he was doing that offensively, he would be recognized as the MVP’

6. Thunder unveil new alternate jerseys (photos)

Mar 2, 2015, 11:59 AM EST

Screen-shot-2015-03-02-at-12.20.01-AM1

Sleeves notwithstanding, these are good

7. From Steve Ballmer to Michael Jordan: Majority of NBA owners crack Forbes’ billionaires list

Mar 2, 2015, 11:21 AM EST

Trail Blazers’ Paul Allen falls to No. 2 among NBA owners

8. Good news: Chris Bosh released from hospital

Mar 2, 2015, 8:30 AM EST

Miami Heat v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

He remains out for the rest of this season at least.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches