Nicolas Batum apologetic after getting triple-double by launching last-second shot

Nov 3, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Nicolas Batum recorded the first triple-double of the NBA season on Saturday, finishing with 11 points, 12 rebounds and 11 assists in the Blazers’ win over the Spurs.

The problem, at least in Batum’s eyes, was the way in which he ultimately achieved this statistical feat.

The game’s outcome had firmly been decided, with Portland leading by seven points and in possession of the ball with just four seconds remaining. Instead of dribbling out the clock, Batum impulsively launched a long three-pointer that fell through the net as the final buzzer sounded.

But there was no celebration, no running around, and barely even a smile.

Batum immediately regretted his decision, and while his teammates celebrated around him in the postgame locker room, he was clearly disappointed in himself for taking that final shot.

From Joe Freeman of The Oregonian:

“That is maybe the worst thing I’ve done in my career,” Batum said. …

“It went in —  I was like, ‘Oh, no,” Batum said of his reaction. “I didn’t mean to disrespect this team. This is the San Antonio Spurs, the best team from the last 15 years in the NBA. I’ve never disrespected this team. I love this team. I have a lot of friends on this team.”

In the visiting locker room at the Moda Center, the Spurs (2-1) weren’t too concerned. Batum’s good friend, Tony Parker, offered congratulations. Even surly coach Gregg Popovich shrugged it off.

“Why would I be mad at that?” Popovich said. “He’s a good kid. I don’t care.” …

“I know this is a bad thing to do,” Batum said. “I want to apologize to the Spurs organization, because that didn’t show good (respect) for the game, for myself, for the Blazers. I don’t really want to disrespect this team.”

Batum’s reaction, both on the court and in the locker room afterward, tells you that he knows what he did was wrong. This wasn’t an Andray Blatche or Ricky Davis situation; Batum made a poor decision in the moment, and immediately regretted it afterward.

Tim Duncan‘s on-court reaction, though (via Bruce Ely) was priceless.

Latest Posts
  1. Deron Williams excited for fresh start in Dallas

Sep 3, 2015, 8:32 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Brooklyn Nets - Game Six Getty Images

Will he and Rick Carlisle get along?

2. Doc Rivers says Paul Pierce chose Clippers over Celtics this summer

Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Boston Celtics forward Paul Pierce reacts to a call by the officials in Boston Reuters

He will be remembered as a Celtic, but Los Angeles is his hometown.

3. It’s official: J.R. Smith re-signs with Cavaliers

Sep 2, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

J.R. Smith J.R. Smith

He’s making $1.5 million less than if he opted in this season, but he does have another year.

4. Brad Stevens hints he will explore taller, more traditional lineups

Sep 2, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Brad Stevens AP

With the additions to the Celtics’ roster, this is the smart play.

5. Report: Free agent Glen Davis to have ankle surgery, out 2-3 months

Sep 2, 2015, 8:31 PM EDT

Glen Davis Glen Davis

He could be back on the court around Thanksgiving, if a team picks him up.

6. Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges

Sep 2, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT

Houston Rockets v Golden State Warriors - Game Five Getty Images

Don’t bring a loaded Glock to an airport, people. It’s pretty much common sense.

7. Report: Clippers planning a mascot

Sep 2, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Utah Jazz Getty Images

It won’t be called Seagull Kneivel

8. D-League Showcase will use net rating as tiebreaker

Sep 2, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT

2015 NBA D League Showcase Getty Images

Advanced stats aren’t always the answer

9. Shaq with the coolest fist bump ever (video)

Sep 2, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT

2015 NBA Finals - Game One Getty Images

If only I could get people to run up to fist bump me while I walk…

10. Report: 76ers interested in Kendall Marshall

Sep 2, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Milwaukee Bucks Getty Images

Point guard reportedly working out in Philadelphia

11. Ty Lawson on coming to Houston: “It’s definitely a breath of fresh air”

Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

For Lawson personally I hope this move and this situation is what he needs to get his life in order.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches