Nicolas Batum apologetic after getting triple-double by launching last-second shot

Nov 3, 2013, 12:30 PM EST

Nicolas Batum recorded the first triple-double of the NBA season on Saturday, finishing with 11 points, 12 rebounds and 11 assists in the Blazers’ win over the Spurs.

The problem, at least in Batum’s eyes, was the way in which he ultimately achieved this statistical feat.

The game’s outcome had firmly been decided, with Portland leading by seven points and in possession of the ball with just four seconds remaining. Instead of dribbling out the clock, Batum impulsively launched a long three-pointer that fell through the net as the final buzzer sounded.

But there was no celebration, no running around, and barely even a smile.

Batum immediately regretted his decision, and while his teammates celebrated around him in the postgame locker room, he was clearly disappointed in himself for taking that final shot.

From Joe Freeman of The Oregonian:

“That is maybe the worst thing I’ve done in my career,” Batum said. …

“It went in —  I was like, ‘Oh, no,” Batum said of his reaction. “I didn’t mean to disrespect this team. This is the San Antonio Spurs, the best team from the last 15 years in the NBA. I’ve never disrespected this team. I love this team. I have a lot of friends on this team.”

In the visiting locker room at the Moda Center, the Spurs (2-1) weren’t too concerned. Batum’s good friend, Tony Parker, offered congratulations. Even surly coach Gregg Popovich shrugged it off.

“Why would I be mad at that?” Popovich said. “He’s a good kid. I don’t care.” …

“I know this is a bad thing to do,” Batum said. “I want to apologize to the Spurs organization, because that didn’t show good (respect) for the game, for myself, for the Blazers. I don’t really want to disrespect this team.”

Batum’s reaction, both on the court and in the locker room afterward, tells you that he knows what he did was wrong. This wasn’t an Andray Blatche or Ricky Davis situation; Batum made a poor decision in the moment, and immediately regretted it afterward.

Tim Duncan‘s on-court reaction, though (via Bruce Ely) was priceless.

Latest Posts
  1. John Wall with another 360 layup (VIDEO)

Dec 27, 2014, 9:00 PM EST

Boston Celtics v Washington Wizards Getty Images

He’s done it twice in the last two games.

2. Hornets’ coach explains why Noah Vonleh barely sees the court

Dec 27, 2014, 8:02 PM EST

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

A sports hernia kept him out of training camp and the rookie has never caught up with the learning curve.

3. Rodney Stuckey says Pistons’ downward spiral began with Chauncey Billups trade

Dec 27, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Chauncey Billups Chauncey Billups

Stuckey says the trade robbed the locker room of accountability.

4. Tobias Harris trash talked LeBron, then LeBron goes off, leads Cavs to win

Dec 27, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

Cleveland at Orlando Getty Images

LeBron James was in “chill mode” and this team is vulnerable when he is.

5. Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return

Dec 27, 2014, 9:30 AM EST

2014 NBA Finals - Game One Getty Images

This option was always on the table for him, people around the NBA just never thought he’d choose it.

6. Rumor: Heat to target Andray Blatche when he returns from Chinese team

Dec 27, 2014, 7:59 AM EST

Chicago Bulls v Brooklyn Nets - Game One Getty Images

He won’t be available until February or March, the Heat may not want to wait that long.

7. Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO)

Dec 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EST

Josh Smith Josh Smith

Hopefully there are more of these and fewer threes.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches