Nicolas Batum apologetic after getting triple-double by launching last-second shot

Nov 3, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Nicolas Batum recorded the first triple-double of the NBA season on Saturday, finishing with 11 points, 12 rebounds and 11 assists in the Blazers’ win over the Spurs.

The problem, at least in Batum’s eyes, was the way in which he ultimately achieved this statistical feat.

The game’s outcome had firmly been decided, with Portland leading by seven points and in possession of the ball with just four seconds remaining. Instead of dribbling out the clock, Batum impulsively launched a long three-pointer that fell through the net as the final buzzer sounded.

But there was no celebration, no running around, and barely even a smile.

Batum immediately regretted his decision, and while his teammates celebrated around him in the postgame locker room, he was clearly disappointed in himself for taking that final shot.

From Joe Freeman of The Oregonian:

“That is maybe the worst thing I’ve done in my career,” Batum said. …

“It went in —  I was like, ‘Oh, no,” Batum said of his reaction. “I didn’t mean to disrespect this team. This is the San Antonio Spurs, the best team from the last 15 years in the NBA. I’ve never disrespected this team. I love this team. I have a lot of friends on this team.”

In the visiting locker room at the Moda Center, the Spurs (2-1) weren’t too concerned. Batum’s good friend, Tony Parker, offered congratulations. Even surly coach Gregg Popovich shrugged it off.

“Why would I be mad at that?” Popovich said. “He’s a good kid. I don’t care.” …

“I know this is a bad thing to do,” Batum said. “I want to apologize to the Spurs organization, because that didn’t show good (respect) for the game, for myself, for the Blazers. I don’t really want to disrespect this team.”

Batum’s reaction, both on the court and in the locker room afterward, tells you that he knows what he did was wrong. This wasn’t an Andray Blatche or Ricky Davis situation; Batum made a poor decision in the moment, and immediately regretted it afterward.

Tim Duncan‘s on-court reaction, though (via Bruce Ely) was priceless.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Sixers to select D’Angelo Russell in 2015 NBA Draft

Apr 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Ohio State v Indiana AP

“He’s the guy they want,” the report says.

2. LaMarcus Aldridge flew back to Portland after Game 2 loss while rest of Blazers stayed in Memphis

Apr 26, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three

Players were given the option by the team’s GM, but Aldridge — who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer — was the only one who chose to leave.

3. Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead

Apr 26, 2015, 2:37 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three Getty Images

Memphis’ offense was the best it has looked this series.

4. Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner

Apr 25, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Milwaukee forced 26 Chicago turnovers, a season high.

5. Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets

Apr 25, 2015, 2:29 PM EDT

Sean Corbin, Rick Carlisle Sean Corbin, Rick Carlisle

“The officials [have] got to get that stuff under control, because there’s too much physical stuff going on. Howard is throwing people all over the place,” Carlisle said.

6. Kawhi Leonard puts up 32 spot on Clippers (VIDEO)

Apr 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v San Antonio Spurs - Game Three Getty Images

The Spurs are Kawhi Leonard’s team now.

Stephen Curry starting to define playoff legacy
Top 10 NBA Player Searches