Nicolas Batum apologetic after getting triple-double by launching last-second shot

Nov 3, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Nicolas Batum recorded the first triple-double of the NBA season on Saturday, finishing with 11 points, 12 rebounds and 11 assists in the Blazers’ win over the Spurs.

The problem, at least in Batum’s eyes, was the way in which he ultimately achieved this statistical feat.

The game’s outcome had firmly been decided, with Portland leading by seven points and in possession of the ball with just four seconds remaining. Instead of dribbling out the clock, Batum impulsively launched a long three-pointer that fell through the net as the final buzzer sounded.

But there was no celebration, no running around, and barely even a smile.

Batum immediately regretted his decision, and while his teammates celebrated around him in the postgame locker room, he was clearly disappointed in himself for taking that final shot.

From Joe Freeman of The Oregonian:

“That is maybe the worst thing I’ve done in my career,” Batum said. …

“It went in —  I was like, ‘Oh, no,” Batum said of his reaction. “I didn’t mean to disrespect this team. This is the San Antonio Spurs, the best team from the last 15 years in the NBA. I’ve never disrespected this team. I love this team. I have a lot of friends on this team.”

In the visiting locker room at the Moda Center, the Spurs (2-1) weren’t too concerned. Batum’s good friend, Tony Parker, offered congratulations. Even surly coach Gregg Popovich shrugged it off.

“Why would I be mad at that?” Popovich said. “He’s a good kid. I don’t care.” …

“I know this is a bad thing to do,” Batum said. “I want to apologize to the Spurs organization, because that didn’t show good (respect) for the game, for myself, for the Blazers. I don’t really want to disrespect this team.”

Batum’s reaction, both on the court and in the locker room afterward, tells you that he knows what he did was wrong. This wasn’t an Andray Blatche or Ricky Davis situation; Batum made a poor decision in the moment, and immediately regretted it afterward.

Tim Duncan‘s on-court reaction, though (via Bruce Ely) was priceless.

Latest Posts
  1. National Spelling Bee co-champion wore LeBron jersey under dress shirt

May 29, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT

Gokul Venkatachalam predicts Cavaliers in 6

2. Report: Fred Hoiberg still expected to become Bulls’ next coach

May 29, 2015, 9:08 AM EDT

Fred Hoiberg AP

Iowa State coach reportedly had concerns about NBA jump due to health

3. Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago

May 29, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

150529_Hoiberg Getty Images

They want Fred Hoiberg, but does he want them?

4. Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible

May 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Kevin Love AP

I expect Love will stay with the Cavaliers this summer, but a lot of people around the league are not so convinced.

5. Report: Pelicans interviewed Vinny Del Negro for head coaching position

May 28, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

Vinny Del Negro AP

Tough to see him as a stronger candidate than at least two others. Unless …

6. Report: ‘At least three’ Bulls starters ripped Tom Thibodeau during exit interview

May 28, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Players supposedly said they’d avoid team facility this summer if Thibodeau remained the head coach.

7. Barack Obama: Nobody can outshoot Stephen Curry, except maybe Kyle Korver

May 28, 2015, 2:42 PM EDT

US-POLITICS-WEATHER-OBAMA Getty Images

American president tweets about LeBron James and J.R. Smith

8. Mavericks considering signing-and-trading Tyson Chandler for DeAndre Jordan

May 28, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT

DeAndre Jordan, Tyson Chandler AP

Clippers center reportedly interested in signing with Dallas

Did Chicago do the right thing in firing Thibodeau?

Despite ending, Hawks had season to remember
Top 10 NBA Player Searches