Nov 3, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Omer Asik of the Rockets is the active leader in consecutive regular season games played, with his current streak hitting 233 straight after appearing in each of the Rockets’ first three games of the year.
Asik topped the leaderboard once Russell Westbrook‘s streak ended due to a knee injury he suffered during last season’s playoffs — one that has prevented him from seeing the court for the Thunder before his expected debut on Sunday.
Westbrook’s streak lasted all five of his NBA seasons, where he appeared in every single one of the 394 games played while he was on the Thunder’s roster.
For Asik, he’s at almost three consecutive NBA seasons worth of games with his current streak, but he feels it’s more of a fluke than something to be proud of.
“Actually, I don’t really care about it,” the 27-year-old Asik said. “I just try to stay on the court. It’s not in my hands mostly. (An injury) happens in a second.
“It’s just a little bit of luck, I think.”
Asik missed a playoff game with the Bulls with a broken leg, but he had played the previous game despite the injury. He said there were several games last season he did not think he could play, but did.
“I have played hurt a few times, but I think it’s mostly luck,” Asik said. “That’s it.”
Asik hasn’t just been on the floor, he’s been a productive member of a Rockets team that’s off to a 3-0 start.
Despite his concerns over the summer about a diminished role in Houston playing alongside Dwight Howard, Asik has started all three games and is averaging 11.7 rebounds in just 23.3 minutes per contest.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 5
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 7
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31