Nov 3, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Omer Asik of the Rockets is the active leader in consecutive regular season games played, with his current streak hitting 233 straight after appearing in each of the Rockets’ first three games of the year.
Asik topped the leaderboard once Russell Westbrook‘s streak ended due to a knee injury he suffered during last season’s playoffs — one that has prevented him from seeing the court for the Thunder before his expected debut on Sunday.
Westbrook’s streak lasted all five of his NBA seasons, where he appeared in every single one of the 394 games played while he was on the Thunder’s roster.
For Asik, he’s at almost three consecutive NBA seasons worth of games with his current streak, but he feels it’s more of a fluke than something to be proud of.
“Actually, I don’t really care about it,” the 27-year-old Asik said. “I just try to stay on the court. It’s not in my hands mostly. (An injury) happens in a second.
“It’s just a little bit of luck, I think.”
Asik missed a playoff game with the Bulls with a broken leg, but he had played the previous game despite the injury. He said there were several games last season he did not think he could play, but did.
“I have played hurt a few times, but I think it’s mostly luck,” Asik said. “That’s it.”
Asik hasn’t just been on the floor, he’s been a productive member of a Rockets team that’s off to a 3-0 start.
Despite his concerns over the summer about a diminished role in Houston playing alongside Dwight Howard, Asik has started all three games and is averaging 11.7 rebounds in just 23.3 minutes per contest.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 8
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 10
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 5
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7