Nov 2, 2013, 1:11 AM EDT
Fans in Denver got a bit of a scare before the Nuggets’ home opener on Friday, when the team’s mascot appeared lifeless as he was lowered to the floor from the rafters during pregame introductions.
Nuggets mascot was just lowered from the ceiling limp and then just laid down on the floor. Wat pic.twitter.com/3RgWLV4i4c
— Dane Carbaugh (@danecarbaugh) November 2, 2013
A little more detail, from ABC 7 in Denver:
The plan was for Rocky to be lowered in a harness, with a spotlight on him, just before the home opener.
Fans were horrified when a lifeless Rocky was lowered to the center court where he immediately collapsed. The spotlight was quickly turned off.
Rocky was checked by doctors and taken off the court.
Word from the Nuggets was that Rocky had the wind knocked out of him and would be out for the remainder of the game.
It appears to have been nothing lingering that will impact the person in the mascot outfit moving forward, but let’s try to remember that a person in a stuffed animal outfit only enhances the pregame festivities to a certain point. It’s probably not worth a danger level of anything greater than zero for any “stunts” that may come to mind.
As for the game itself, the Nuggets fell to the Blazers by a final of 113-98.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 42
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 88
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 57
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59