Nov 2, 2013, 1:11 AM EDT
Fans in Denver got a bit of a scare before the Nuggets’ home opener on Friday, when the team’s mascot appeared lifeless as he was lowered to the floor from the rafters during pregame introductions.
Nuggets mascot was just lowered from the ceiling limp and then just laid down on the floor. Wat pic.twitter.com/3RgWLV4i4c
— Dane Carbaugh (@danecarbaugh) November 2, 2013
A little more detail, from ABC 7 in Denver:
The plan was for Rocky to be lowered in a harness, with a spotlight on him, just before the home opener.
Fans were horrified when a lifeless Rocky was lowered to the center court where he immediately collapsed. The spotlight was quickly turned off.
Rocky was checked by doctors and taken off the court.
Word from the Nuggets was that Rocky had the wind knocked out of him and would be out for the remainder of the game.
It appears to have been nothing lingering that will impact the person in the mascot outfit moving forward, but let’s try to remember that a person in a stuffed animal outfit only enhances the pregame festivities to a certain point. It’s probably not worth a danger level of anything greater than zero for any “stunts” that may come to mind.
As for the game itself, the Nuggets fell to the Blazers by a final of 113-98.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 40
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 18
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6