Nov 2, 2013, 1:11 AM EST
Fans in Denver got a bit of a scare before the Nuggets’ home opener on Friday, when the team’s mascot appeared lifeless as he was lowered to the floor from the rafters during pregame introductions.
Nuggets mascot was just lowered from the ceiling limp and then just laid down on the floor. Wat pic.twitter.com/3RgWLV4i4c
— Dane Carbaugh (@danecarbaugh) November 2, 2013
A little more detail, from ABC 7 in Denver:
The plan was for Rocky to be lowered in a harness, with a spotlight on him, just before the home opener.
Fans were horrified when a lifeless Rocky was lowered to the center court where he immediately collapsed. The spotlight was quickly turned off.
Rocky was checked by doctors and taken off the court.
Word from the Nuggets was that Rocky had the wind knocked out of him and would be out for the remainder of the game.
It appears to have been nothing lingering that will impact the person in the mascot outfit moving forward, but let’s try to remember that a person in a stuffed animal outfit only enhances the pregame festivities to a certain point. It’s probably not worth a danger level of anything greater than zero for any “stunts” that may come to mind.
As for the game itself, the Nuggets fell to the Blazers by a final of 113-98.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 36
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8