Nov 2, 2013, 1:11 AM EDT
Fans in Denver got a bit of a scare before the Nuggets’ home opener on Friday, when the team’s mascot appeared lifeless as he was lowered to the floor from the rafters during pregame introductions.
Nuggets mascot was just lowered from the ceiling limp and then just laid down on the floor. Wat pic.twitter.com/3RgWLV4i4c
— Dane Carbaugh (@danecarbaugh) November 2, 2013
A little more detail, from ABC 7 in Denver:
The plan was for Rocky to be lowered in a harness, with a spotlight on him, just before the home opener.
Fans were horrified when a lifeless Rocky was lowered to the center court where he immediately collapsed. The spotlight was quickly turned off.
Rocky was checked by doctors and taken off the court.
Word from the Nuggets was that Rocky had the wind knocked out of him and would be out for the remainder of the game.
It appears to have been nothing lingering that will impact the person in the mascot outfit moving forward, but let’s try to remember that a person in a stuffed animal outfit only enhances the pregame festivities to a certain point. It’s probably not worth a danger level of anything greater than zero for any “stunts” that may come to mind.
As for the game itself, the Nuggets fell to the Blazers by a final of 113-98.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5