Nov 2, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Gregg Popovich is known for being surly with the media, but he’s also known for being sarcastic and brutally honest when he does decide to engage in responding to a reporter’s legitimate question.
In Los Angeles on Friday to take on the Lakers, Popovich was asked about Kawhi Leonard‘s defense in comparison to that of Bruce Bowen, a specialist in that area who played in San Antonio from 2001-09 and was a part of three different championship teams.
This opened the door for one of Pop’s more painfully sincere assessments.
Gregg Popovich had a pretty good zinger for Mr. Bowtie when a reporter compared Kawhi Leonard to Bruce Bowen …
Reporter: “He’s kind of different than Bowen …”
Popovich: “He’s a lot better than Bruce Bowen. Bruce Bowen couldn’t dribble and couldn’t pass. He shot 3s in the corner and he played good D, he played great D. So we want Kawhi to match Bruce’s great D first and foremost, but after that he’s a much better offensive player.”
Bowen was all defense, al the time in his prime years — essentially like Shane Battier, but more actually deserving of the lock-down defender reputation.
Popovich has a fantastic sense of humor, but isn’t in the business of taking unsolicited shots at one of his more tenured former players. Instead, the response that ultimately disparaged Bowen’s skill set was an appropriate one given how much better of an all-around player Leonard is shaping up to be, on both ends of the floor.
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 0
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 36
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 17