Nov 2, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
Evan Turner is one of three players remaining on the rebuilding Sixers roster who are talented enough to have some trade value on the open market.
Along with Spencer Hawes and Thaddeus Young, it’s even likely that if an offer of young assets or future draft picks should come along, one or all three players could be dealt before the midseason trade deadline is upon us.
Turner certainly sounded like someone who wants out, after failing to receive a contract extension from Philadelphia before Thursday’s deadline.
From Jason Wolf of USA Today:
“[First-year 76ers general manager Sam] Hinkie is not my GM. He doesn’t owe me anything,” Turner said Friday before the Sixers played the Washington Wizards at the Verizon Center. “… We’re going in different directions and everything like that.” …
Turner previously said he expected to be traded during the offseason after the Sixers dealt All-Star point guard Jrue Holiday to the New Orleans Pelicans for rookie center Nerlens Noel and a first-round draft pick in 2014. He remains unsure if he’ll last the season in Philadelphia, let alone return next season.
“I really don’t know, to tell you the truth,” Turner said. “[Hinkie] just traded Jrue, and Jrue is like a walking legend, you know what I’m saying? Even Wilt Chamberlain got traded, right?”
Turner may be losing it a bit here, considering he just compared Jrue Holiday to Wilt Chamberlain.
All kidding aside, Turner will remain a Sixer as long as the organization wants him to. Philadelphia can make him a restricted free agent next summer, and match any offer he may receive from another team.
If Turner doesn’t believe he has a future with his current team, all he can do is play well enough to drive the price of his next contract up, to the point where the Sixers won’t feel like it’s worth it to match. Turner didn’t let his contract situation bother him Friday, finishing with 23 points, six rebounds and four assists in Philadelphia’s win over the Wizards.
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 21
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 9
- The Extra Pass: Chemistry clicking in Denver as Nuggets beat Nets to win seventh straight, and Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Michael Carter-Williams, Victor Oladipo with dueling rookie triple doubles 5
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 3: We answer twitter questions on Blazers, Pacers vs. Monstars 0
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (51)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)