Nov 1, 2013, 1:56 PM EST
Larry Sanders got a big four-year, $44 million extension from the Milwaukee Bucks this summer because he can defend — he can protect the rim and block shots, but he also is quite good showing out and shutting of drives on the pick-and-roll.
Talking with him after the Bucks season-opening loss to the Knicks, Zach Lowe of Grantland talked defending the pick-and-roll with Sanders, specifically who is the hardest to stop when they come around the top of that pick.
OK, well, anytime [Steve] Nash is coming off the pick-and-roll, it’s bad.
Yep, still. It’s because of his pace. He’s not rushing. He’s just surveying, looking for gaps, passing through those gaps. He’s such a good passer. And D-Rose.
Oh, yeah. And, man, coming off those pick-and-rolls at full speed. He’s one of those guys, when he comes around that pick, you have to be totally locked in on him. He’s so quick, if he gets his shoulder past you, it’s over.
Rose isn’t a shock. He’s struggling to get his touch back and finish (28 percent shooting through two games) but physically he is back. Nash however, is interesting on this list, he is slower than he was a few years ago but his ability to keep his dribble alive and pick you apart with precision passing.
Then Sanders makes another interesting choice — Mike Conley of the Memphis Grizzlies. Why
His decision-making. Guards that make good decisions out of the pick-and-roll are just deadly. Options open up. He’s really good at keeping the big man in front of him.
Sort of stringing you out, you mean — keeping his dribble alive so you have to keep guarding him?
Yeah, yeah. And he’s got two guys on him now. Guys who can do that, and make good decisions are deadly.
Conley is an underrated point guard — how he stepped up in the wake of the Rudy Gay trade made the Grizzlies far more efficient and much more dangerous offensively after that trade.
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 0
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 17
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 8
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15