Nov 1, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
You knew things would be different with Masai Ujiri in charge in Toronto. For one, there might be a plan. That would be a nice change of pace from the past few years.
Whatever that plan is, it could involve a wholesale changeover of the roster. They already moved Andrea Bargnani (to the delight of Raptors fans) and reports surfaced they would consider moving Rudy Gay in the right deal.
The strong sense now, though, is that the Raps are prepared to trade virtually anyone on the current roster if a suitable offer presents itself.
“Anyone but [Jonas] Valanciunas,” says one plugged-in source.
You don’t move quality young big men, and Jonas Valanciunas is that.
However, that means DeMar DeRozan, Kyle Lowry, Amir Johnson, Terrence Ross and others could be had. Which isn’t really news — Ujiri is an aggressive dealer and pretty much everyone is always available. But on his terms — know that he is not just giving these guys away.
Gay is the most interesting piece however. One because he’s pretty good — not as good as some people think, not an All-Star, but good and can get you buckets — but nobody knows what he’s going to do after the season. He can opt out, but if he does he’s going to give up a lot for that security — he is set to make $19.3 million next season and he would be fortunate to make $12 million next year as a free agent. So what teams are willing to gamble on what he can do and would absorb that kind of salary? Not many.
That said, expect an aggressive Raptors team on the market. Whatever they do.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 39
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42