PBT Roundtable: Who is the most overrated team in the NBA to start season?

Nov 1, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT

Carmelo Anthony, Raymond Felton AP

Each week the PBT writers sit at a virtual roundtable, just like the knights of King Arthur, drink mead and discuss the NBA topic of the day. This week’s question:

Kurt Helin: There are a few candidates here, but after seeing them in person opening night I will say the Clippers (and I picked them to come out of the West this season). Yes, the Lakers loss was one flukey night, yes they picked up a win in Game 2 and Chris Paul looked great, but there are some real issues to fix over the next 80 games. Some those seemed tied to Blake Griffin — Doc Rivers praised DeAndre Jordan and called out Griffin about defense after the first game (as he did his guards, who were atrocious, particularly Darren Collison). For me it has always come back to the Clippers defense, and that’s going to be more of a project for Doc Rivers than maybe we anticipated — in both games so far they have given up 109 points per 100 possessions. Small sample size, but watch them defend and Rivers has a lot of work to do.

Dan Feldman: The Knicks, always the Knicks. My only reservation about picking the Knicks is I still don’t understand how they were so good last season, so it’s tough to be so sure they’ll regress this season. The Clippers, a team I also picked to win the West, are a fine choice, too. I don’t want to overreact to one game, but that’s all we have right now. They certainly underwhelmed against the Lakers.

DJ Foster: The Cleveland Cavaliers. This roster looks great on paper, doesn’t it? Kyrie Irving, Anderson Varejao and Andrew Bynum? Woo boy, that’s some Popovich brand nasty right there. Unfortunately, the injury histories of each of those players are, well, the other kind of nasty. It would be shocking if the Cavs stay at full strength for long, but even if they do, I still have my reservations about the wing play on both ends. Teams are going to sit in the paint, collapse on Irving, and beg someone else to beat them. I don’t know that anyone else can.

Rhett Anderson: I’ll go with the Nets. Made headlines in the offseason picking up KG, Pierce, and the Jet, but I don’t think Brooklyn’s substance deserves the level of attention they’ve been getting. Of course it’s still too early — however, judging by the offseason and by what they’re bringing back, Garnett’s and Pierce’s age mean that Deron Williams and Brook Lopez will have to shoulder most of the load to make a deep playoff run. I wrote they’re longshots to challenge the Heat in the East, and I believe that is still the case, but in the end I feel it’s just a little too much attention for expected future results.

Brett Pollakoff: After opening night, it would certainly be easy to go with the Clippers, and it would be especially easy for me considering I was the conductor of the “Eric Bledsoe is overrated” train last season. But I’m going with the Thunder, whose third threat has gone from James Harden to Kevin Martin to … Reggie Jackson? And people have this team making the Finals? It’s possible that Kevin Durant turns in a monster of an MVP-caliber season to make that happen, but given the uncertainty surrounding Russell Westbrook‘s return from injury and the rest of that roster, I just don’t see it.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat

Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

LeBron still not as popular as prior to The Decision, though. It’s only a matter of time until he is.

2. Dion Waiters explains tweet saying he wouldn’t accept bench role

Jul 30, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT

2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day 2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day

Cavaliers guard says initial response stemmed from his straightforward approach, confidence

3. NBA considering charity All-Star game in South Africa

Jul 30, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT

Nelson Mandela Nelson Mandela

Collective Bargaining Agreement limits offseason charity games to United States and Canada

4. Report: Gregg Popovich had hip-replacement surgery

Jul 29, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

Popovich signed contract extension with Spurs this offseason

5. Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold

Jul 29, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT

Image (1) durant_usa_fun-thumb-250x159-20234.jpg for post 4140

“That 2010 team was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I think we have a team that’s even better.” —Kevin Durant

6. Report: Magic signing Peyton Siva to unguaranteed contract

Jul 29, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic

Orlando reportedly plans to send former Pistons point guard to D-League

7. Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did.

Jul 29, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

“I just tell everybody that I’m here in Oklahoma City, I love it here. Who knows what will happen.” —Kevin Durant on his 2016 free agency.

8. Report: Eric Bledsoe-Suns ‘relationship is on the express lane to being ruined’

Jul 29, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT

Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic

Bledsoe reportedly resents how differently Pistons, Jazz and Rockets treated their restricted free agents

9. Report: Mike Scott considering ‘lucrative’ offer to play in Russia

Jul 29, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Indiana Pacers - Game Seven Getty Images

CSKA-Moscow wants to poach Scott from Atlanta Hawks

10. Mavericks sign Ivan Johnson

Jul 29, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Atlanta Hawks Dallas Mavericks v Atlanta Hawks

Johnson gets NBA contract after eventful summer league

11. Report: Timberwolves told Kevin Love to sit out the World Cup

Jul 29, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

I’m not sure Love is taking advice from Minnesota right now

12. Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable

Jul 29, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Introduce Byron Scott Getty Images

Lakers introduce Scott as new coach in press conference

13. Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy”

Jul 29, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

Rose said he was disappointed but he understands ‘Melo’s decision.

14. LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video)

Jul 29, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

LeBron James LeBron James

Want to see LeBron strip down to his underwear?

15. Steve Nash: ‘I think this is my last season’

Jul 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT

Steve Nash, Meta World Peace Steve Nash, Meta World Peace

Lakers guard confirms he’s planning on retirement

16. PBT Extra: Is this the end of Donald Sterling as NBA owner?

Jul 29, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT

Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano

Donald Sterling isn’t going away, but he’s pretty much done as the Clippers owner now.

17. Grizzlies name general manager Chris Wallace general manager

Jul 29, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Yes, you read that headline correctly

18. Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on?

Jul 29, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins AP

The question with Cousins is never talent, but his maturity seems to be there.

19. Report: Gary Payton assistant-coaching candidate with Lakers, Bucks

Jul 29, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

Gary Payton #20 Gary Payton #20

Jason Kidd or Byron Scott could hire former Seattle SuperSonic

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches