Nov 1, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT
Gary Payton said he found John Stockton tougher to guard than Michael Jordan because he knew Jordan would shoot while Stockton could score or pass. That left a lot of people shaking their head.
Andrei Kirilenko used the exact opposite logic when trying to discuss who the toughest players to guard are today in the NBA.
The Nets’ Kirilenko was speaking to the New York Post about the toughest guys to guard and he said Kevin Durant and Kobe Bryant over LeBron James because LeBron might pass.
“For me, personally? I would say Kevin Durant and Kobe [Bryant], because they’re very motivated to play with the ball,” Kirilenko said. “LeBron is way unselfish, and he will pass it as soon as the guy is open.
“Kevin and Kobe, unless the guy is wide open, like wide open and ready to shoot, they will keep going at you. They’ll keep going at you. That’s why it makes it harder to play against those guys.”
It’s a matter or perspective and, like the Payton comment, who are we to tell him who he thinks is more difficult?
Kirilenko is going to get his shot at LeBron for stretches on Friday night in a nationally televised game. Kirilenko has missed time with back spasms but is good to go Friday night.
The Nets are talking about this being a statement game for them, the Heat know no statements are made in November.
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 17
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 37
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 13
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 16
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 33