Nov 1, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
Gary Payton said he found John Stockton tougher to guard than Michael Jordan because he knew Jordan would shoot while Stockton could score or pass. That left a lot of people shaking their head.
Andrei Kirilenko used the exact opposite logic when trying to discuss who the toughest players to guard are today in the NBA.
The Nets’ Kirilenko was speaking to the New York Post about the toughest guys to guard and he said Kevin Durant and Kobe Bryant over LeBron James because LeBron might pass.
“For me, personally? I would say Kevin Durant and Kobe [Bryant], because they’re very motivated to play with the ball,” Kirilenko said. “LeBron is way unselfish, and he will pass it as soon as the guy is open.
“Kevin and Kobe, unless the guy is wide open, like wide open and ready to shoot, they will keep going at you. They’ll keep going at you. That’s why it makes it harder to play against those guys.”
It’s a matter or perspective and, like the Payton comment, who are we to tell him who he thinks is more difficult?
Kirilenko is going to get his shot at LeBron for stretches on Friday night in a nationally televised game. Kirilenko has missed time with back spasms but is good to go Friday night.
The Nets are talking about this being a statement game for them, the Heat know no statements are made in November.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 13
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)