Nov 1, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
Since then LeBron has won a second ring, a second consecutive Finals MVP, and his fourth regular season MVP award in the last five years.
So, how do you feel now MJ, he was asked in an Associated Press interview?
“It’s hard to pick. It’s hard to say the best player,” Jordan said. “You would have to say LeBron because of what he’s capable of doing. Kobe is coming off an injury and you don’t know where he is going to be at his age. I would have to say LeBron.”
Two quick thoughts here.
First, if in the last couple years you thought Kobe right now was better than LeBron right now, I’m not sure what sport you’ve been watching. Historical standing is up for debate (both are still playing, LeBron is still in his prime, it’s too early to have that conversation) but on the court right now it’s LeBron then everyone else in the league. Second, if you’re going to say “but Michael Jordan said Kobe was best just months ago” I would say look at his history as a GM/owner and talent evaluator.
But go ahead and fire up the tedious Kobe/LeBron historical debate we shouldn’t have yet in the comments if it makes you happy.
Jordan said he’d be happy to talk to LeBron and try to be a mentor.
“Sure, I would be willing to talk to a bunch of the kids,” Jordan told The Associated Press on Friday. “And actually I do. I don’t advertise it because I don’t want it to be misconstrued or to be viewed as tampering with other stars. I’m in a more difficult position than other owners because it can be viewed in a different way.
“But I’ve always welcomed an opportunity to talk to anybody, LeBron included.”
Jordan also killed the ridiculous idea of a comeback for a night.
“My knees feel good. My feet feel good. Everything on my body feels good and I don’t want to ruin that at the age of 50,” Jordan said. “I may mess around at my camp in Santa Barbara. The kids ask me to dunk and the next thing you know it was all over the news and the Internet. Then Jalen Rose says I’m coming back at 50. I try to stay away from those scenarios as much as possible.”
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 1
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 21
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 19
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 28
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10