Nov 1, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
Wednesday night’s Sacramento Kings home opener wasn’t your standard home opener — it was a celebration of a team and the community that came together and fought to keep them. It was a celebration of all things Sacramento and the new owners there, Vivek Randive and his team.
“It felt like an AAU team. Everything [critics] were saying before, I believe it’s true. We were the worst. We weren’t building for the future, we were just living in the moment. That’s why we were that bad. … Honestly, I feel like I wasted time. I hate the fact that it took everything we went through to get to this. I guess you could say it makes that much better.”
What was great about the Kings event was that it looked forward — the focus was on building a new future, from the team on the court to the new building in downtown. While Cousins was Cousins, there were not a lot of looking back and taking shots at the Maloofs (who early on were good owners but mismanaged the business long term).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $25,000 Fantasy Basketball league tonight (Friday). It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,500. Starts at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Plus, the Kings beat the Nuggets 90-88. Cousins was in beast mode and dropped 30. It was a great night.
Check out the opening ceremony from the Kings’ first game this season.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10