Nov 1, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
Wednesday night’s Sacramento Kings home opener wasn’t your standard home opener — it was a celebration of a team and the community that came together and fought to keep them. It was a celebration of all things Sacramento and the new owners there, Vivek Randive and his team.
“It felt like an AAU team. Everything [critics] were saying before, I believe it’s true. We were the worst. We weren’t building for the future, we were just living in the moment. That’s why we were that bad. … Honestly, I feel like I wasted time. I hate the fact that it took everything we went through to get to this. I guess you could say it makes that much better.”
What was great about the Kings event was that it looked forward — the focus was on building a new future, from the team on the court to the new building in downtown. While Cousins was Cousins, there were not a lot of looking back and taking shots at the Maloofs (who early on were good owners but mismanaged the business long term).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $25,000 Fantasy Basketball league tonight (Friday). It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,500. Starts at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Plus, the Kings beat the Nuggets 90-88. Cousins was in beast mode and dropped 30. It was a great night.
Check out the opening ceremony from the Kings’ first game this season.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 11
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29