Oct 31, 2013, 10:28 AM EST
Nene just can’t seem to stay healthy.
After four straight injury plagued seasons (he played in just 45 percent of his teams’ games those years) Nene finally started this one healthy and was expected to be a force inside… and that lasted one game. He’s injured again although we don’ know how seriously, reports J. Michael at CSNWashington.com.
After the game, Nene could be seen limping as he left the locker room and it’s a left calf injury, CSN later confirmed….
Nene opened strong for the Wizards by hitting his first three of his first four field goals, all mid-range jump shots. But he apparently came down awkwardly with all of his weight on his left leg on the third attempt. He finished with 12 points and three rebounds in 30 minutes.
If Nene is out, you can expect to see Marcin Gortat start for the Wizards. He came off the bench in Game 1.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday’s NBA games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $1,200. Starts Thursday night at 8pm ET. Here’s the link.
The Wizards lost their season opener 113-102 to another team on the rise in the East, the Detroit Pistons. The Wizards have made making the playoffs the goal — that is why they traded for Gortat — but that gets a lot more difficult without the skill Nene brings to the front line.
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 0
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 3
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 11
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 44
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 17