Oct 31, 2013, 10:28 AM EST
Nene just can’t seem to stay healthy.
After four straight injury plagued seasons (he played in just 45 percent of his teams’ games those years) Nene finally started this one healthy and was expected to be a force inside… and that lasted one game. He’s injured again although we don’ know how seriously, reports J. Michael at CSNWashington.com.
After the game, Nene could be seen limping as he left the locker room and it’s a left calf injury, CSN later confirmed….
Nene opened strong for the Wizards by hitting his first three of his first four field goals, all mid-range jump shots. But he apparently came down awkwardly with all of his weight on his left leg on the third attempt. He finished with 12 points and three rebounds in 30 minutes.
If Nene is out, you can expect to see Marcin Gortat start for the Wizards. He came off the bench in Game 1.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday’s NBA games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $1,200. Starts Thursday night at 8pm ET. Here’s the link.
The Wizards lost their season opener 113-102 to another team on the rise in the East, the Detroit Pistons. The Wizards have made making the playoffs the goal — that is why they traded for Gortat — but that gets a lot more difficult without the skill Nene brings to the front line.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 0
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 3
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 17
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 8
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6