Oct 31, 2013, 2:39 PM EST
Despite what a few selfish Bulls fans and some talk radio folks think, Derrick Rose is a tough guy. Mentally and physically. He played through a lot of injuries his first couple years (including a painful toe issue at the time of his knee injury).
So while Tom Thibodeau called him a “game time decision” it really shouldn’t be a surprise the sore neck he suffered opening night isn’t going to keep him out the Bulls nationally televised game against the Knicks Thursday. Here is what he said at shootaround, via Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.
“Oh, hell yeah,” he emphatically responded, when asked if he’d play against the Knicks. “For sure, I know I’m going to play. It’s just that I have to get loose….
“My neck is a little bit sore. We’ll have to see how it is later on tonight,” he said. “Just neck soreness, almost like a crook in your neck. But I should be fine.”
Rose struggled to find his rhythm in the opener against the Heat, going just 4-of-15 shooting. That is a tough team for him, the Heat have the athletic defenders and length to cut off his driving angles, which in turn seemed to lead to a few forced shots (he still had a couple impressive drives).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday’s NBA games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $1,200. Starts Thursday night at 8pm ET. Here’s the link.
The Knicks are a different challenge — he likely gets a lot of Iman Shumpert on him (among others) and when he does drive into the lane Tyson Chandler will be there. That’s potentially good, but also different from how the Heat defend, and we’ll see if Rose is just more comfortable with everything at NBA game speed now.
If so, it might be rough for a Knicks team on the second night of a back-to-back.
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 9
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17