Oct 31, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Despite what a few selfish Bulls fans and some talk radio folks think, Derrick Rose is a tough guy. Mentally and physically. He played through a lot of injuries his first couple years (including a painful toe issue at the time of his knee injury).
So while Tom Thibodeau called him a “game time decision” it really shouldn’t be a surprise the sore neck he suffered opening night isn’t going to keep him out the Bulls nationally televised game against the Knicks Thursday. Here is what he said at shootaround, via Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.
“Oh, hell yeah,” he emphatically responded, when asked if he’d play against the Knicks. “For sure, I know I’m going to play. It’s just that I have to get loose….
“My neck is a little bit sore. We’ll have to see how it is later on tonight,” he said. “Just neck soreness, almost like a crook in your neck. But I should be fine.”
Rose struggled to find his rhythm in the opener against the Heat, going just 4-of-15 shooting. That is a tough team for him, the Heat have the athletic defenders and length to cut off his driving angles, which in turn seemed to lead to a few forced shots (he still had a couple impressive drives).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday’s NBA games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $1,200. Starts Thursday night at 8pm ET. Here’s the link.
The Knicks are a different challenge — he likely gets a lot of Iman Shumpert on him (among others) and when he does drive into the lane Tyson Chandler will be there. That’s potentially good, but also different from how the Heat defend, and we’ll see if Rose is just more comfortable with everything at NBA game speed now.
If so, it might be rough for a Knicks team on the second night of a back-to-back.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 5
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10