Oct 31, 2013, 2:39 PM EST
Despite what a few selfish Bulls fans and some talk radio folks think, Derrick Rose is a tough guy. Mentally and physically. He played through a lot of injuries his first couple years (including a painful toe issue at the time of his knee injury).
So while Tom Thibodeau called him a “game time decision” it really shouldn’t be a surprise the sore neck he suffered opening night isn’t going to keep him out the Bulls nationally televised game against the Knicks Thursday. Here is what he said at shootaround, via Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.
“Oh, hell yeah,” he emphatically responded, when asked if he’d play against the Knicks. “For sure, I know I’m going to play. It’s just that I have to get loose….
“My neck is a little bit sore. We’ll have to see how it is later on tonight,” he said. “Just neck soreness, almost like a crook in your neck. But I should be fine.”
Rose struggled to find his rhythm in the opener against the Heat, going just 4-of-15 shooting. That is a tough team for him, the Heat have the athletic defenders and length to cut off his driving angles, which in turn seemed to lead to a few forced shots (he still had a couple impressive drives).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday’s NBA games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $1,200. Starts Thursday night at 8pm ET. Here’s the link.
The Knicks are a different challenge — he likely gets a lot of Iman Shumpert on him (among others) and when he does drive into the lane Tyson Chandler will be there. That’s potentially good, but also different from how the Heat defend, and we’ll see if Rose is just more comfortable with everything at NBA game speed now.
If so, it might be rough for a Knicks team on the second night of a back-to-back.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 8
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 17
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 32
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (51)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)