Oct 31, 2013, 5:27 PM EST
It’s not like Gregg Popovich needed an excuse to keep Tim Duncan out a few games even this early in the season, but now he’s got one.
Tim Duncan is day-to-day with a chest contusion suffered when he caught an elbow in the third quarter against the Grizzlies Wednesday, the team has announced. He will travel with the team on the upcoming three-game road trip but is officially doubtful for Friday night’s nationally televised game against the Lakers.
The good news is there was no broken rib or anything more serious. He may miss a game or three but it’s not that bad.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday’s NBA games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $1,200. Starts Thursday night at 8pm ET. Here’s the link.
Before Lakers fans celebrate that this makes the Spurs easier to beat, remember this is the Spurs — they sent their “big three” home early last season and they still almost beat the Heat. Expect more Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw in the rotation.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 9
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8