Oct 31, 2013, 5:27 PM EDT
It’s not like Gregg Popovich needed an excuse to keep Tim Duncan out a few games even this early in the season, but now he’s got one.
Tim Duncan is day-to-day with a chest contusion suffered when he caught an elbow in the third quarter against the Grizzlies Wednesday, the team has announced. He will travel with the team on the upcoming three-game road trip but is officially doubtful for Friday night’s nationally televised game against the Lakers.
The good news is there was no broken rib or anything more serious. He may miss a game or three but it’s not that bad.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday’s NBA games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $1,200. Starts Thursday night at 8pm ET. Here’s the link.
Before Lakers fans celebrate that this makes the Spurs easier to beat, remember this is the Spurs — they sent their “big three” home early last season and they still almost beat the Heat. Expect more Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw in the rotation.
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 6
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10