Oct 31, 2013, 5:27 PM EDT
It’s not like Gregg Popovich needed an excuse to keep Tim Duncan out a few games even this early in the season, but now he’s got one.
Tim Duncan is day-to-day with a chest contusion suffered when he caught an elbow in the third quarter against the Grizzlies Wednesday, the team has announced. He will travel with the team on the upcoming three-game road trip but is officially doubtful for Friday night’s nationally televised game against the Lakers.
The good news is there was no broken rib or anything more serious. He may miss a game or three but it’s not that bad.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday’s NBA games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $1,200. Starts Thursday night at 8pm ET. Here’s the link.
Before Lakers fans celebrate that this makes the Spurs easier to beat, remember this is the Spurs — they sent their “big three” home early last season and they still almost beat the Heat. Expect more Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw in the rotation.
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 5
- 2014 PBT Awards: Most Improved Player 5
- Tuesday NBA grades: Chris Paul looks playoff ready 0
- Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, Knicks shut him down for season 14
- Celtics’ legend Cedric Maxwell stood in location of Boston Marathon bombing just minutes before 2