Oct 31, 2013, 9:46 PM EDT
There are a few players still eligible to have their rookie contracts extended by Thursday’s deadline of midnight Eastern time. Gordon Hayward and Eric Bledsoe are perhaps the biggest names still waiting, and it remains unclear if either player will get deals done with their respective teams before the deadline passes.
Greivis Vasquez may not be as high profile as the other two, but his is an interesting case nonetheless. Vasquez has value as a traditional point guard who is capable of averaging high assists, but since he was just traded from New Orleans to Sacramento over the summer, it’s understandable that the Kings might be wary of offering him a high-dollar, long-term deal just yet.
Despite not taking Kings @greivisvasquez option next season, source says any offer sheet he signs as a restricted FA expected to be matched.
Source says Kings “feel strongly” about @greivisvasquez and expect him back next season.
There’s not much risk on the Kings’ side here, because if they like what Vasquez does for them this season, they can simply match any offer he receives from other teams in restricted free agency next summer.
All that can happen is that Vasquez, essentially playing in a contract year, has a great season and drives up his value. And it’s not like the Kings would have any problem with that, even though it might potentially cost them more down the road than they’d have to commit by locking him up now with that contract extension.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 8
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 6
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 17
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15