Oct 31, 2013, 9:46 PM EDT
There are a few players still eligible to have their rookie contracts extended by Thursday’s deadline of midnight Eastern time. Gordon Hayward and Eric Bledsoe are perhaps the biggest names still waiting, and it remains unclear if either player will get deals done with their respective teams before the deadline passes.
Greivis Vasquez may not be as high profile as the other two, but his is an interesting case nonetheless. Vasquez has value as a traditional point guard who is capable of averaging high assists, but since he was just traded from New Orleans to Sacramento over the summer, it’s understandable that the Kings might be wary of offering him a high-dollar, long-term deal just yet.
Despite not taking Kings @greivisvasquez option next season, source says any offer sheet he signs as a restricted FA expected to be matched.
Source says Kings “feel strongly” about @greivisvasquez and expect him back next season.
There’s not much risk on the Kings’ side here, because if they like what Vasquez does for them this season, they can simply match any offer he receives from other teams in restricted free agency next summer.
All that can happen is that Vasquez, essentially playing in a contract year, has a great season and drives up his value. And it’s not like the Kings would have any problem with that, even though it might potentially cost them more down the road than they’d have to commit by locking him up now with that contract extension.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 23
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49