Oct 31, 2013, 5:56 PM EDT
Jimmer Fredette still has a small but dedicated group of believers that “Jimmermania” still exists, if he just would get a chance.
The Sacramento Kings are apparently not in that group — they are not going to pick up the 2014-15 $3.1 million option, reports Sam Amick of the USA Today.
That means next summer Fredette will be an unrestricted free agent. It is possible he gets traded as well — Amick reports that half a dozen teams have had some level of conversation with the Kings about Fredette. As the season moves along some team may put enough on the table to get a deal done (but Utah is not among those interested, Amick reports.
Fredette is not going to get much of a chance with the Kings this year — he is behind Greivis Vasquez, Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Thornton and Ben McLemore in the rotation and isn’t going to leapfrog those guys. He will get limited minutes.
Fredette sees himself as a point guard but that is not his future at the NBA level (the Kings were not good when he was in that roll because he doesn’t set others up well). Rather, his future is as a shooter and a role player off the bench. He likes the ball in his hand and he can create a shot for himself — he shot 46 percent as the pick and roll ball handler last year but just 33 percent in isolation — but those tend to be difficult shots. And he is shoot first and pass later in that role.
His future is as a catch-and-shoot guy — he hit 38 percent on catch-and-shoot threes last season. He doesn’t defend well enough to start, it will be a bench shooter role for him, if he can accept that.
Maybe he gets a better chance this season after a trade, or next season after he signs somewhere else. It may not be Jimmermania but it can be a good NBA role if he makes the most of it.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65