Oct 31, 2013, 10:58 AM EST
Quincy Pondexter, who is becoming a more and more important floor-spacing shooter in the Memphis Grizzlies’ scheme, is about to be rewarded with a new contract.
The Grizzlies and Pondexter have come to terms on a four-year contract extension and that will be signed before the deadline at midnight Oct. 31, reports Ronald Tillery of the Commercial Appeal.
We do not yet know the financial terms of the deal. (It’s hard to say how good or not a deal it is until we see the cost.)
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday’s NBA games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $1,200. Starts Thursday night at 8pm ET. Here’s the link.
While we have talked about the Grizzlies not going out and getting enough shooting for this season to space the floor for Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol, Pondexter has become their home-grown guy to do that off their bench. Last season more than half his shot attempts came from beyond the arc and he hit 39.5 percent of them, plus he was particularly dangerous on corner threes where he shot 45 percent (in the Grizzlies season opener this year he was 2-of-4 from three and had 13 points total). Pondexter can shoot, it’s his defense that has him sitting at key moments.
Memphis seems willing to pay to keep him around in that role, and if they got him at a fair price that is a good more.
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 4
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 10
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 5
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8
- Shane Battier on Carmelo Anthony: ‘Last two years I guarded him, he did exactly what the scouting report said he would’ 15
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 18