Oct 31, 2013, 1:42 PM EST
In a summer when a lot of teams were selling as they went the “organizational tanking” route to get worse in the year of a deep lottery, the Detroit Pistons were aggressive buyers.
We’ll see if going against the market they end up like the Louis Winthorpe III and Billy Ray Valentine, or Mortimer and Randolph Duke, but it was a bold call. Now they have one of the potentially best front lines in the NBA with Josh Smith, Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe, they just have to figure out how to use it properly.
Owner Tom Gores wanted to be aggressive — he wanted to start winning, he told the Detroit News in an interesting Q&A.
We’ve done a lot of what we wanted to do, and at the minimum, our expectation is the playoffs. Really, that’s the minimum. We need to keep developing our young talent, too. We said we’d spend the money and people wondered if we would. And we did….
We took a philosophy, Joe (Dumars) and I, to win now without sacrificing the future. I really think we accomplished that. Obviously the business is very tricky, but we had to create an urgency. The fans need it, the Pistons need it.
Yes, Dumars was in on the plan and as far as Gores is concerned his job is safe despite this being the last year of his contract.
He’s not (on the hot seat). Joe and I collaborated on these moves, we talk every other day. He’s done everything we’ve asked, and his basketball organization is really solid. I’m excited where they’re at. I don’t think I could’ve asked for more this summer
Despite what Gores says in the Q&A, the lack of even contract extension talks with Dumars implies the owner is still evaluating the situation and might change his mind. If you have a highly valued employee (in any field), you lock him or her up long term so they do not bolt. Maybe the is no fire with that smoke, but what happens if the Pistons miss the playoffs this year?
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday’s NBA games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $1,200. Starts Thursday night at 8pm ET. Here’s the link.
Whatever happens with the GM spot, Gores is clearly the guy setting the direction of the franchise and he knows what he wants. That’s good for the Pistons.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 0
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)