Oct 31, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
Billionaires usually get their way.
That’s why they’re billionaires. Those who didn’t get their way never amassed such a large fortune.
Then, once they reached that status, they have the means to continue getting their way.
The best NBA example is Dan Gilbert’s infamous letter when LeBron James left Cleveland. That was whiny and shameful, and Gilbert should regret sending it. (As of last check, he doesn’t.) Gilbert didn’t get his way, so he threw a tantrum and blamed others.
“Obviously, he made a mistake in judgment,” Cuban said with a laugh when asked if he could blame the 6-11 center for choosing young James Harden and the Rockets over older Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavericks. “Do I blame him? No, that’s what young kids do. They make mistakes in judgment.”
So he doesn’t have any ill feelings?
“None,” Cuban said. “Not even a little bit, because I think we came out pretty good. If we were stuck, then maybe. But like I say about every other team, I hope they suck. I say that every year. It’s nothing personal. I still like Dwight as a person. But I still want the Rockets, like every other team, to have a horrible season. It’s nothing personal. I just want them to suck.”
The irony is so rich – how rich is it? – it would whine incessantly if it didn’t get its way.
Most of what Cuban says is forgettable talk from an admittedly sore loser. But comparing Howard’s judgment to that of a child, even if said somewhat in jest, crosses a line.
Howard brings a lot of the derision upon himself, and he can be immature. But he’s still a grown man who handled his free agency, once he finally got to that point after the true Dwightmare, as well as possible. He heard from interested teams and then made a decision.
Unless Cuban and Howard are closer friends than I think – and Howard passing on the Mavericks suggests they’re not the very best of buds – Howard doesn’t deserve that type of public swipe from someone like Cuban.
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 0
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 4
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 4
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 16
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3