Oct 31, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
Billionaires usually get their way.
That’s why they’re billionaires. Those who didn’t get their way never amassed such a large fortune.
Then, once they reached that status, they have the means to continue getting their way.
The best NBA example is Dan Gilbert’s infamous letter when LeBron James left Cleveland. That was whiny and shameful, and Gilbert should regret sending it. (As of last check, he doesn’t.) Gilbert didn’t get his way, so he threw a tantrum and blamed others.
“Obviously, he made a mistake in judgment,” Cuban said with a laugh when asked if he could blame the 6-11 center for choosing young James Harden and the Rockets over older Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavericks. “Do I blame him? No, that’s what young kids do. They make mistakes in judgment.”
So he doesn’t have any ill feelings?
“None,” Cuban said. “Not even a little bit, because I think we came out pretty good. If we were stuck, then maybe. But like I say about every other team, I hope they suck. I say that every year. It’s nothing personal. I still like Dwight as a person. But I still want the Rockets, like every other team, to have a horrible season. It’s nothing personal. I just want them to suck.”
The irony is so rich – how rich is it? – it would whine incessantly if it didn’t get its way.
Most of what Cuban says is forgettable talk from an admittedly sore loser. But comparing Howard’s judgment to that of a child, even if said somewhat in jest, crosses a line.
Howard brings a lot of the derision upon himself, and he can be immature. But he’s still a grown man who handled his free agency, once he finally got to that point after the true Dwightmare, as well as possible. He heard from interested teams and then made a decision.
Unless Cuban and Howard are closer friends than I think – and Howard passing on the Mavericks suggests they’re not the very best of buds – Howard doesn’t deserve that type of public swipe from someone like Cuban.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 51
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18