Oct 31, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
Billionaires usually get their way.
That’s why they’re billionaires. Those who didn’t get their way never amassed such a large fortune.
Then, once they reached that status, they have the means to continue getting their way.
The best NBA example is Dan Gilbert’s infamous letter when LeBron James left Cleveland. That was whiny and shameful, and Gilbert should regret sending it. (As of last check, he doesn’t.) Gilbert didn’t get his way, so he threw a tantrum and blamed others.
“Obviously, he made a mistake in judgment,” Cuban said with a laugh when asked if he could blame the 6-11 center for choosing young James Harden and the Rockets over older Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavericks. “Do I blame him? No, that’s what young kids do. They make mistakes in judgment.”
So he doesn’t have any ill feelings?
“None,” Cuban said. “Not even a little bit, because I think we came out pretty good. If we were stuck, then maybe. But like I say about every other team, I hope they suck. I say that every year. It’s nothing personal. I still like Dwight as a person. But I still want the Rockets, like every other team, to have a horrible season. It’s nothing personal. I just want them to suck.”
The irony is so rich – how rich is it? – it would whine incessantly if it didn’t get its way.
Most of what Cuban says is forgettable talk from an admittedly sore loser. But comparing Howard’s judgment to that of a child, even if said somewhat in jest, crosses a line.
Howard brings a lot of the derision upon himself, and he can be immature. But he’s still a grown man who handled his free agency, once he finally got to that point after the true Dwightmare, as well as possible. He heard from interested teams and then made a decision.
Unless Cuban and Howard are closer friends than I think – and Howard passing on the Mavericks suggests they’re not the very best of buds – Howard doesn’t deserve that type of public swipe from someone like Cuban.
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 4
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 9
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 21
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6