Oct 31, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
I knew Knicks and Raptors fans would soon have something in common, something they could bond over while drinking a frosty adult beverage.
Andrea Bargnani can bring people together… in frustration.
Bargnani had a rough first outing as a Knick, going 0-3 from three point range (3-of-9 overall) meaning 6 points, 2 rebounds, 3 turnovers and he was -11 in 17 minutes. Raptors fans were patient with him over the years, taking their time to turn on him; Knicks fans not so much, as noted at the New York Post.
We’re about to find out if it is, because it took just two shots into the season opener for the Italian import to hear boos from the Garden crowd….
Bargnani, who was hampered by injuries in his past two seasons in Toronto, has a long way to go. He debuted with a terrible first half, missing all four of his shots with two turnovers and two fouls. The crowd booed after just the first two misses, jeering after he clanked a short 8-foot attempt 32 seconds into the second quarter.
By the way, coach Mike Woodson said he plans to start Bargnani Thursday night against the Bulls. Seriously. That is the plan, putting him at the four and Carmelo Anthony at the three.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday’s NBA games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $1,200. Starts Thursday night at 8pm ET. Here’s the link.
I have not hidden my distaste for the Knicks Bargnani pickup, it’s not that he can’t provide some value on the court it’s that you’re paying him $23.3 million for something you could get better at half the price. Expectations are too high for him and I expected all Knicks fans (know Bargnani divided the fans base) would come around eventually.
In a credit to the basketball IQ of Knicks fans, it didn’t even take a full half.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 6
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 16
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 32
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)