Watch Allen Iverson announce his retirement at press conference

Oct 30, 2013, 4:45 PM EST

Allen Iverson made it official, retiring from the game of basketball at a press conference on Wednesday. He will be honored later at the Sixers season home opener.

At his press conference Iverson talked about Michael Jordan, Larry Brown and John Thompson among the big influences on his basketball life.

But he also has a special spot for former teammate Aaron McKie.

1. drewvt6 - Oct 30, 2013 at 5:11 PM

…in other news David Beckham (Managed by Simon Cowell – oh did we mention that Simon Cowell is Beckham’s manager?) may or may not buy a soccer team in Miami. Did you know Simon Cowell produced American Idol? Apparently AI has the wrong management team.

2. tmatic74 - Oct 30, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Allen Iverson thanks for everything. So many nights I watched and your heart put chills down my spine and water in my eyes. Philly will always love you.

3. bat42boy - Oct 30, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Who cares!!! Good riddance to him and his stupid and disgusting tattoos.

4. skolvikesskol - Oct 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Was he talkin bout practice?!

5. dexterismyhero - Oct 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM

And he still hasn’t grown up. Dookie ropes and sideways hat…..

6. bigzant82 - Oct 31, 2013 at 10:01 AM

THE LEGEND OF IVERSON WILL LOOM OVER PHILLY FOREVER
    damn 2013 has been the year of the legends walking away or retiring
    ray lewis,brian urlacher,allen iverson,mariano rivera,andy petitite,jim leyland,tony larussa sheesh guys that will never be replaced

7. arrondior - Oct 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM

AI made me love basketball. Before him, I just really liked it. I have never seen a guy his size dominate a game like he did and in THE WAY that he did. Never seen a prettier tear drop or rainbow finger roll in traffic . I wish his career had ended on an NBA roster. I believe that he still has the talent to be a premier 6th man in the league but unfortunately, drama and circumstance deprived so many people the chance to watch a top 20 all time great do work. So many good memories.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches