Oct 30, 2013, 2:08 AM EDT
Our grades from Tuesday night around the NBA, or what you missed while watching crazy big wave surfing videos.
The Los Angeles Lakers’ bench. The Lakers bench played free, played Mike D’Antoni ball and scored 76 points including the final 46 the Lakers scored to spark an opening night upset win over the Lakers. Xavier Henry had a career high 22, but Clippers coach Doc Rivers said it was the attacking of Jordan Farmar (16 points, 6 assists) and Jordan Hill (12 points and 7 offensive rebounds) that turned the game.
The Indiana Pacers’ defense. The best defense in the NBA picked up where it left off, allowing the Magic just 84.1 points per 100 possessions, with Roy Hibbert blocking seven shots and the Pacers blocking 18 total. The Magic shot just 38.7 percent as a team and 37.5 percent inside 8 feet. Granted, this defensive showing was against what passes for the Orlando offense, but the Pacers are going to make a lot of teams look bad this season.
Miami’s “big three.” They weren’t bad — a combined 46 points on 45.7 percent shooting — but while LeBron James was +8 on the night both Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh were even. It was really the Heat bench that won this game for them, it was the bench that made the big run that turned it into a blowout. They’ll take the win, but this wasn’t vintage from Miami’s elite.
Derrick Rose. Welcome back to the NBA, here’s one of the league’s most athletic and best defenses in the NBA to go against, have fun. All night long the Heat seemed to cut off Rose’s driving lanes in a way few teams can. To expect a dominant performance was asking too much, but 12 points on 4-of-15 shooting with more turnovers than assists (5 to 4) was a rough way to return.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6