Oct 30, 2013, 2:08 AM EDT
Our grades from Tuesday night around the NBA, or what you missed while watching crazy big wave surfing videos.
The Los Angeles Lakers’ bench. The Lakers bench played free, played Mike D’Antoni ball and scored 76 points including the final 46 the Lakers scored to spark an opening night upset win over the Lakers. Xavier Henry had a career high 22, but Clippers coach Doc Rivers said it was the attacking of Jordan Farmar (16 points, 6 assists) and Jordan Hill (12 points and 7 offensive rebounds) that turned the game.
The Indiana Pacers’ defense. The best defense in the NBA picked up where it left off, allowing the Magic just 84.1 points per 100 possessions, with Roy Hibbert blocking seven shots and the Pacers blocking 18 total. The Magic shot just 38.7 percent as a team and 37.5 percent inside 8 feet. Granted, this defensive showing was against what passes for the Orlando offense, but the Pacers are going to make a lot of teams look bad this season.
Miami’s “big three.” They weren’t bad — a combined 46 points on 45.7 percent shooting — but while LeBron James was +8 on the night both Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh were even. It was really the Heat bench that won this game for them, it was the bench that made the big run that turned it into a blowout. They’ll take the win, but this wasn’t vintage from Miami’s elite.
Derrick Rose. Welcome back to the NBA, here’s one of the league’s most athletic and best defenses in the NBA to go against, have fun. All night long the Heat seemed to cut off Rose’s driving lanes in a way few teams can. To expect a dominant performance was asking too much, but 12 points on 4-of-15 shooting with more turnovers than assists (5 to 4) was a rough way to return.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9