Kobe Bryant doesn’t know when he’ll be back, seems tired of the question

Oct 30, 2013, 1:36 PM EST

Los Angeles Clippers v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Time for another non-update update on the status of Kobe Bryant.

He is trying to recover from a ruptured Achilles tendon and told Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports he’s at a point where he pushes it, see how it recovers the next day, then either rests or pushes it a little more. However, he hasn’t practiced with the team and once that happens he’ll do that for a couple weeks before he returns to the court.

So, when might that be?

“I don’t. I don’t. How can I? I don’t even know if I will be able to push it hard tomorrow. I have no idea.”

Q: Would it be safe to say you’ll be back by December?

Bryant: “Dude, I don’t know. I don’t give a [expletive] what people believe. When I’m ready, I will play.”

Okay then.

Of course, he has every right to be weary of the question.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Kobe’s right in the sense that this is not an injury you can just work your way back from with more effort and pain tolerance — Achilles injuries are prone to setbacks. You have to take it in measured steps, Bryant seems to be doing that and putting his work ethic to work. He wouldn’t talk about the future in any way — minutes played, free agency, any of it.

All the questions about what he can do on the court and how many minutes he can play will have to wait. And there are legit big questions. In their opening night win over the Clippers, the Lakers had fantastic ball movement — the ball found energy, starting with Pau Gasol on down it moved fast. When Kobe gets it, will the ball stick? (Remember Mike D’Antoni’s frustrations with Carmelo Anthony in New York?).

We’ll see how it plays out. Whenever Kobe does get back.

1. rodge1 - Oct 30, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Please come back soon Kobe, the Lakers are playing way too well together.

• fanofevilempire - Oct 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM

you are a real funny guy.

• spthegr8 - Oct 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM

^^^^^^ Different thread, but the same old “Trolls”^^^^^^^

• skids003 - Oct 30, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I thought his almight greatness said he’d be back last night. I guess even his Ego can’t heal his Achilles. If they keep winning, that’ll blow his ego even worse, he thinks there is no way they can win without his greatness.

2. fanofevilempire - Oct 30, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I’m getting pissed off about having to answer this question too.

3. starvingardens - Oct 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Why doesn’t he give them a quote that’s been around since we were all kids?

“I don’t know… Why don’t you ask your mom?”

Get’s them everytime.

4. asimonetti88 - Oct 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Kobe is one of my favorites, but he did invite these questions by continually proclaiming this offseason he would be ready by Opening Day. Regardless, Go Lakers

• dexregeant - Oct 30, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Exactly…Now he wants to act like a female bc he wasn’t able to keep to HIS time table…

• redbaronx - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM

@dexregeant – There’s no reason to be misogynistic to women. There’s plenty of women in this world that put cry baby men to shame in this world.

• mogogo1 - Oct 30, 2013 at 5:35 PM

This was so preventable. The first few weeks of the season mean so very little. It’d be better for everybody for him to take his time. But these days everybody wants their recovery to be faster than the last guy’s. And that works great until you miss the artificial deadline you created and it then looks like the recovery is way behind schedule.

5. lemfaxx - Oct 30, 2013 at 4:22 PM

It depends on the performance of the team. If they keep on winning or atleast 55-60% of their games we might see him after the all star break….

6. kb2408 - Oct 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I’m glad Kobe’s contemporaries and peers aren’t as dumb as some of you numbskulls are. If Kobe misses 10 games the LAKERS will win maybe 4. With Kobe I’m not sure how many they will win but I assure you it would be more than 4. The biggest difference in this year and last is the LAKERS now have youth and some help off the bench. One game does not a season make. But I still stand by my prediction of 42 wins or more for my LAKERS. 41 more to go!!

7. kb2408 - Oct 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I see what’s happening here. I set these numbskulls straight about Kobe and my LAKERS and my comment doesn’t show up. But read some of the other crap that does!

• jimeejohnson - Oct 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM

That’s a good one.

8. redbaronx - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Maybe now some of you that were talking about Rose’s supposed lack of toughness will give it a break. Whatever time Kobe needs is fine. People shouldn’t be criticizing players that get injured period. Their body, their timetable. If Kobe can’t push off the way he needs to, there’s no reason for him to rush back.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches