Oct 30, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
When the Houston Rockets tip off the season Wednesday night, Patrick Beverley will be out on the court as the starting point guard.
“I don’t think it’s that big of a deal,” Lin said.
“You just have to look at the game as a whole,” he said. “How many minutes do you end up playing and what do you do when you’re on the floor. To me, it’s not that big of a deal being in the second unit, being able to attack and have that freedom and to be able to be freelancing a little bit. I think it will be fun.”
As I noted yesterday, I like this move for the Rockets — it’s not about how much money Lin makes, it’s about fit. With the starters, you want the ball in James Harden’s hands and Lin takes some possessions away from him. Plus Beverley is a better defender and a better spot up shooter, both skill sets that fit better with the Rockets’ starters.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Lin comes in as a spark plug, asked to score and attack — to do what he does best off the pick-and-roll. He can run it with Dwight Howard, Omer Asik or others, and really provide a boost. This is a great use of his skill set; the question is if he would accept it. He seems down with it (and with his personality didn’t we expect that).
By the way, Beverley is good with starting. Very big of him. But he handled it graciously.
“I accept my role,” he said. “We have three proven starting point guards. All three have started here (Beverley, Lin and Aaron Brooks). Me and Jeremy know each other well. We play together well too. He is a phenomenal playmaker. I try to pick his brain as much as I can. He is one of my best friends. It makes our team that much better. It’s a great thing – it can go anyway. We are just teammates and we are playing well together.”
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 8
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 18
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6