Allen Iverson: “I’m formally announcing my retirement from basketball”

Oct 30, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT

Few players have had the impact on the players of today that Allen Iverson did — everyone wanted his look, everyone wanted to emulate his fearless, attacking style.

His career ended in a bit of an awkward way, with fits and starts, but on Wednesday he made the end official.

“I’m formally announcing my retirement from basketball,” Iverson said in a press conference broadcast on Comcast Sportsnet Philly (and streamed live on CSNPhilly.com). “You know, I thought one this day came it would be basically a tragic day. I never imagined the day coming, but I knew it would come. I feel proud and happy to say that I’m happy with my decision and I feel great….

“It’s just a hard life to live. It’s a great one, I wouldn’t trade it for nothing. I have no regrets on anything. People ask me all the time, ‘Do I have any regrets?’ I don’t have any. If I could back and do it all over, would I change anything? No. Obviously if I could go back and change anything I would be a perfect man. And I know there’s no perfect man and there’s no perfect basketball player. So no, I wouldn’t change anything. My career was up and down at times. I made a lot of mistakes, a lot of things I’m not proud of. But it’s only from other people to learn from.”

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Iverson was reflective and grateful in the 10-minute talk, thanking Michael Jordan and Larry Brown for being key parts of his professional career. He also talked about Georgetown.

“I always believed in myself, my mom always told me I could be anything that I wanted to be,” Iverson said. “I truly actually believed it. I fought. I went through a whole lot, trying to get to this point right here. [Former Georgetown] Coach [John] Thompson gave me an opportunity when nobody in the world would and believed in me. Basically saved my life and helped my dream come true.”

He showed off his sense of humor.

“You used to think the suspect was the guy with the corn rows, now you see the police officers with the corn row,” he said.

We’ve known this was coming for a while — frankly a lot of his fans seemed to know the end was there before Iverson himself did.

However that shouldn’t alter our opinion of a future first-ballot Hall of Famer — an 11-time All-Star who averaged 26.7 points, 6.2 assists and 2.2 steals a game in his 13-year career. His game had a lot of substance but you can’t think of Iverson without the style — the tattoos (before everybody had them), the cornrows, his fearless attacking style and ability to finish over guys a foot taller than him. That style made him one of the most entertaining players of his generation. He led the charge to bring a hip-hop culture to the game and young African-Americans in particular related to him in a way they did not with other stars.

He changed the game. He should be celebrated and will be tonight in Philadelphia as the Sixers tip off their season.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Hedo Turkoglu wants to play anther NBA season, Kings possiblity

Jul 31, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

The Kings don’t really have the roster spot for him.

2. Grizzlies’ D-League affiliate hires female assistant coach

Jul 31, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT

NBA.com NBA.com

Iowa Energy add Nicki Gross to coaching staff

3. Report: Joe Johnson “pumped” that Deron Williams bought out by Nets

Jul 31, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT

joe johnson nets sleeved alternates

Johnson makes $24.9 million, but this is the last year of his contract.

4. Report: Knicks to sign Thanasis Antetokounmpo

Jul 31, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT

20141220 Westchester Knicks at Maine Red Claws Getty Images

New York drafted Giannis Antetokounmpo’s brother last year

5. Report: 76ers second-rounder J.P. Tokoto won’t sign with Philadelphia

Jul 31, 2015, 10:23 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

No. 58 pick will reportedly head overseas or to D-League

6. Knicks waive Ricky Ledo

Jul 31, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT

Ricky Ledo AP

Guard didn’t show much in short stint in New York

7. NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure

Jul 31, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptu5nzjmmwjlotdhnzrhn2iwytixngrhnwi2yzqwyjzk AP

“One thing to come out of this will be more camps, more clinics, more games, more youth competition, and from that you get into infrastructure, and building more courts.” —Masai Ujiri, Raptors GM and native Nigerian

8. Mark Cuban says trading for Rajon Rondo was tough call, “came down to a coin flip”

Jul 31, 2015, 7:59 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

“And the coin flip was as much about, is there going to be anything else that we could do? Because we knew we had to do something.” —Mark Cuban on trading for Rajon Rondo.

9. Pau Gasol on Fred Hoiberg: “I think we’ll play with a better flow offensively”

Jul 30, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

Pau Gasol Pau Gasol

Hoiberg has a much stronger offensive reputation than Tom Thibodeau.

10. Blazers waive Brendan Haywood after acquiring him from Cavs

Jul 30, 2015, 10:43 PM EDT

Brendan Haywood, Michael Beasley Brendan Haywood, Michael Beasley

Portland received Mike Miller and two second-round picks in addition to Haywood.

11. Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach

Jul 30, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Austin Toros v Texas Legends Austin Toros v Texas Legends

Lieberman would be the second female assistant coach, after Becky Hammon

12. Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession

Jul 30, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT

Mike Scott Mike Scott

Scott was charged with possession of marijuana and MDMA.

13. Josh Smith clarifies “harder on me” comments in Players Tribune essay

Jul 30, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings

Smith says he was talking more about family stability than money in his controversial comments.

14. Thunder sign domestic draft-and-stash pick Josh Huestis

Jul 30, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT

Josh Huestis Josh Huestis

Huestis spent last season in the D-League.

15. Tony Parker says for Spurs this is “last crack at it to try to win it all”

Jul 30, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT

Tony Parker, Tim Duncan Tony Parker, Tim Duncan

In what will be the last year for Duncan and Manu Ginobili, not to mention David West’s long career, there will be plenty of desperation and energy in San Antonio.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. K. Bryant (2740)
  2. B. Haywood (2284)
  3. I. Thomas (2154)
  4. L. James (1890)
  5. A. Randolph (1867)
  1. M. Miller (1852)
  2. G. Robinson III (1750)
  3. N. Young (1722)