Oct 29, 2013, 2:41 PM EDT
In case you still wondered if this was going to be a rough season for the Lakers, we bring you this bit of news.
Shawne Williams is the starting power forward for the Lakers in Tuesday night’s opener against the Los Angeles Clippers.
That is the same Shawne Williams who was out of the league last season shot and shot 28.6 percent and couldn’t get off the Nets bench two seasons ago. I’m not kidding, he is starting. This is Lakers.com reporter (and sideline reporter for their broadcasts) Mike Trudell.
Lakers starters tonight: Steve Nash, Steve Blake, Nick Young, Shawne Williams and Pau Gasol. Same line up as final two preseason games.—
Mike Trudell (@LakersReporter) October 29, 2013
As noted this isn’t a total surprise, the Lakers had gone to this in recent games as Williams beat out Jordan Hill for the starting four spot. He earned the start, such as it is. In the preseason Williams performed better than he did last time he played in the NBA by shooting a still unimpressive 34.6 percent overall and 33.3 percent from beyond the arc. To be fair, he was fairly solid on the boards and he played the way Mike D’Antoni likes.
Still, the fact that he is starting speaks to just what a rough season Lakers fans are in for — Kobe Bryant is not healthy and nobody knows exactly when he returns (and how he plays when he does), Steve Nash is already a little banged up and has struggled with his health for season after season, and there are serious questions about their role players. That a guy who couldn’t get off the bench on a not great Nets team then sat out a year is your starter is not a good sign.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61