Your starting Laker power forward opening night: Shawne Williams

Oct 29, 2013, 2:41 PM EDT

Shawne Williams AP

In case you still wondered if this was going to be a rough season for the Lakers, we bring you this bit of news.

Shawne Williams is the starting power forward for the Lakers in Tuesday night’s opener against the Los Angeles Clippers.

That is the same Shawne Williams who was out of the league last season shot and shot 28.6 percent and couldn’t get off the Nets bench two seasons ago. I’m not kidding, he is starting. This is Lakers.com reporter (and sideline reporter for their broadcasts) Mike Trudell.

As noted this isn’t a total surprise, the Lakers had gone to this in recent games as Williams beat out Jordan Hill for the starting four spot. He earned the start, such as it is. In the preseason Williams performed better than he did last time he played in the NBA by shooting a still unimpressive 34.6 percent overall and 33.3 percent from beyond the arc. To be fair, he was fairly solid on the boards and he played the way Mike D’Antoni likes.

Still, the fact that he is starting speaks to just what a rough season Lakers fans are in for — Kobe Bryant is not healthy and nobody knows exactly when he returns (and how he plays when he does), Steve Nash is already a little banged up and has struggled with his health for season after season, and there are serious questions about their role players. That a guy who couldn’t get off the bench on a not great Nets team then sat out a year is your starter is not a good sign.

1. unxpexted1 - Oct 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Shawne williams isn’t what concerns me in the starting lineup. He fits perfectly for what D”antoni is trying to do. But Steve FRICKIN Blake starting at the 2g!!!!……ahhhhh i can’t take it!!!!!! How does he stick around. He must be a helluva a nice guy.

• redbaronx - Oct 29, 2013 at 8:41 PM

@unxpexted1 – Steve Blake IS a nice guy! Just a regular guy.

I can’t believe there are still Laker fans that think they’ll be winning 50 games this season…..

• asimonetti88 - Oct 29, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I live in LA and I don’t know anyone that expects them to win 50 games, so not sure where you’re getting that. 45 games, the same total as last year, is about as optimistic as I’ve seen anyone.

• redbaronx - Oct 30, 2013 at 1:21 PM

@asimonetti88 – There was this guy (I think his handle was tcclark) that was saying the Lakers would win 50. I’ve seen others talk about title contention. I understand it’s their team, but shocking nevertheless.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM

These people must be hiding in the depths of LA because no one here expects that. Haven’t heard it around the water cooler, haven’t heard it on sports talk radio, haven’t heard it anywhere.

• redbaronx - Oct 30, 2013 at 1:30 PM

@asimonetti88 – I just had another guy, realmsvertigo, ream me for pointing out that despite his comment of them missing the playoffs five times, that it doesn’t mean anything.

Lakers fans are so sensitive! All I did was point out the last two Lakers teams that missed had real structural problems, not unlike this years team.

• redbaronx - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM

@asminetti88 – I dont know if they’re really that hard to find. Look at how many Laker fans put a thumbs down on my comments. They must really think they’re winning 50 this year and contending for the title.

• realmsvertigo - Oct 31, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Ms Red. Next time you have something to say about me. Reply to me. Don’t be afraid of a woman, and talk behind her back. lol. I never said anything about the Lakers. Not once. Also, when did I say I was a Lakers fan? Where do you come up with this bologna? You cry too much.

• redbaronx - Oct 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM

@realmsvertigo aka the real MS – I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about! You’re nuts!

• redbaronx - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM

@realmsvertigo – If you have something intelligent to say, some kind of argument or difference of opinion, then do that. If you’re just going to whine and b***h, don’t bother responding to my posts.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 31, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I thumbed you down because your statement that people expect 50 games is wrong. I would assume the rest of the thumbs down are for the same reason- you using hyperbole to slam Lakers fans.

• redbaronx - Nov 4, 2013 at 2:07 AM

@asminoetti8 – I’m not slamming Laker fans. Fact is that a lot of Laker fans are being unrealistic expecting the Lakers to be contenders this year. That’s just not realistic. And my saying it’s unrealistic isn’t “slamming”. I’ve seen some much harsher posts from people that really slam Laker fans.

• deezcheeks00 - Nov 1, 2013 at 1:50 AM

@redbaron. It is clear you don’t like being called out for your ignorance. Also, you continue to keep coming back for a d*mb remark. You obviously are demonstrating immaturity also, by having to get the last line in. Everything that has been said is the truth. Obviously, there are plenty here who agree.

“If you’re just going to whine and b***h, don’t bother responding to my posts.” Take your own advice and move on. Sounds really st*pid when you have the most posts on this thread alone. From what we all can see. You’re path*tic enough to keep coming back. We all have been seeing that for awhile now. You can talk s**t online to everyone, but someone does it back. Here you are throwing a si55y fit.

• redbaronx - Nov 4, 2013 at 2:05 AM

@deezcheeks00 – Enough. Talk to someone who cares…..

• xtroutmenx - Nov 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM

@redbaron. Since, you have the most posts on this thread. That makes you the one crying and b**ching about it. Seeing how you keep coming back to get that last line in. Proves what is being said. Obviously, it is too much to handle. So, you throw a fit. For awhile now. You liked to call people out and when it is done back. You act like a wh*ny kid. S**t happens.

• redbaronx - Nov 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM

*Yawn*

• realmsvertigo - Nov 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Nothing you say is of Intelligence. Since, you whine and b***h about criticism. Maybe you shouldn’t comment on a forum. Since, you’re too sensitive. You sure do like to insult people though.

• redbaronx - Nov 2, 2013 at 3:01 PM

@realmsvertigo – You’re HILARIOUS!!! You’re the one acting all sensitive. LMAO. Go cry in your corner.

2. cbking05 - Oct 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM

He’s going to score 40 tonight

3. jgray30 - Oct 29, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Steve Blake huh? wow, well I seriously hope Meeks doesn’t get off the bench tonight. there’s other guys on that team that deserve the play over him. Nash better be ready to play or his old ass can sit too. Farmar has played better than Nash in preseason. I honestly think LA has a decent bench, better than last year. nice athletic young guys that could be pretty good. I’m sure Mike will find a way to screw it all up tho.

4. jgray30 - Oct 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Oh and I understand the decision to start Williams tonight, against the Clippers. But I think there are a lot of other teams that Pau and Kaman would have the upper hand against. They seemed to click instantly. May be a liability on D, but this current starting situation seems to be bad on both ends.

5. JHathwell - Oct 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Another wried Kurt post. These are matchup starts for D’ Antoni, not a proclamation that Shawne Williams is the starting 4. I imagine we’ll see this lineup, the nash-meeks-young-pau-kaman line-up against bigger, slower teams and a few others to boot.

The Lakers are dog meat tonight either way, but it’s not because Shawne Williams is starting.

6. raiderfool - Oct 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM

LOL, rough season???..They are the only Sports franchise to only miss the playoffs 5 times in their glorious history, and they will make it again in 2014

• redbaronx - Oct 29, 2013 at 8:50 PM

@raiderfool – What does missing the playoffs 5 times mean? Nothing! If you remember your Laker history that each one of those times was predictable BEFORE the season started. Lakers in 2004/5, the year Shaq left and Kobe played with spare parts. 1993/94 two years after Magic retired and the team was in shambles.

Frankly I think the Lakers do have an OUTSIDE chance at making the playoffs, but everything has to break right for them health wise, and Nash/Kobe/Pau need to be some semblance of their former selves. I think it is more likely that they will be out and probably end up with a losing record with about 36 to 40 wins.

• realmsvertigo - Oct 30, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Ms Red. Put a sock in it. That “I know everything attitude is getting old.” You don’t know krap. You read articles, and all of a sudden you’re an expert. You try to cut everyone down, and attempt to make others feel s**pid.

What is the point of your arguments mean? Nothing! If you remember your mouths history. Each one of those times was predictable, before your mouth even started. ; )

• redbaronx - Oct 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM

@realmsvertigo – I never said I knew everything, and neither did I go into any personal attacks on you.

That just goes to show what kind of fan you are…

• redbaronx - Oct 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM

@realmsvertigo – P.S. don’t listen to me. What do I know? Lets talk after the season is over. Just remember I called it. Lakers are not seeing the playoffs this year.

• realmsvertigo - Oct 30, 2013 at 3:05 PM

You ignored the point I made of you. This is exactly what I mean. Someone doesn’t agree with you. Then, you act like an a 5 5.

Where do you see anything about the Lakers in my post?
        Internet warrior!

• redbaronx - Oct 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM

@realmsvertigo – I hate to break it to you, but this is a forum. If you’re that sensitive to someone that comments on your posts, then you shouldn’t be on here. I’m not the one overreacting here to a dissenting opinion. You’re the one making it personal and can’t take a critique of your team.

Good luck.

• realmsvertigo - Nov 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM

“If you’re that sensitive to someone that comments on your posts, then you shouldn’t be on here.”

Exactly! Yet, here you are still crying.

• redbaronx - Nov 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM

@realmsvertigo – See what I mean? I commented, you got all twisted. You’re the one crying! If you can’t take someone’s comments, move on.

7. jerdogthompson - Oct 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM

@raiderfool

Yes that is correct sir. I think your missing the single biggest fact why you as a Laker fan can look forward to many mediocre years in the future. CBA

The way it’s set up it makes repeat offenders pay ridiculous sums of money to do what the Lakers did the last 20 years.

The other major fact your omitting is the great Dr Buss has passed away. Let the hate start in 1,2,3………

8. jacobk621 - Oct 30, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Is this the same Steve Blake who was on the u of md NCAA basketball championship
    team like 20 yrs ago ???

• Kurt Helin - Nov 4, 2013 at 12:54 AM

9. cdiddy07 - Oct 30, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I know its just one game but what arw your thoughts after the first game?…we look damn good with the bench out there!

10. lakerwoman - Oct 30, 2013 at 1:56 AM

GO LAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. cdiddy07 - Oct 30, 2013 at 3:27 AM

lol…so what is your thought now …yea its just one game..they look pretty good huh,…lol

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview