Oct 29, 2013, 7:03 PM EST
Officially, Mike Woodson says he will not detail his starting lineup until Wednesday, not long before his New York Knicks tip off the season at home hosting the Milwaukee Bucks.
However, Carmelo Anthony all but directly said that Metta World Peace will get the start and Andrea Bargnani will come off the bench, reports the New York Post.
“I didn’t expect it, we didn’t expect it,’’ Anthony said. “That’s what he’s going with. I think guys are ready for the move. Everyone seems on board with that. Whatever position we have to play, we have to go out and do it.’’
This makes a lot of sense, Anthony thrived as a power forward for the Knicks last year, able to take bigger defenders out on the wing and back down smaller ones. He had a PER of 24.8 at the four, 21.8 at the three. World Peace is a natural three and also brings a lot more defense to the starting lineup than Bargnani.
Woodson tried to make a big lineup of Anthony, Bargnani and Tyson Chandler work, but in the end seems to have wisely gone back to Anthony at the four. Bargnani struggled with his shot his last couple years in Toronto, shot 20 percent from three in the preseason. If he’s a stretch four who can’t stretch the floor, he’s not helping much.
So Anthony at the four it is. Not that he cares.
“It really doesn’t matter to me,’’ Anthony said of playing the 3 or 4. “I’ve been successful in this league at the 3. Last year, I was successful at the 4. Whatever adjustments I have to make, I have to make. I’m willing to do that.’’
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8