Oct 29, 2013, 7:03 PM EST
Officially, Mike Woodson says he will not detail his starting lineup until Wednesday, not long before his New York Knicks tip off the season at home hosting the Milwaukee Bucks.
However, Carmelo Anthony all but directly said that Metta World Peace will get the start and Andrea Bargnani will come off the bench, reports the New York Post.
“I didn’t expect it, we didn’t expect it,’’ Anthony said. “That’s what he’s going with. I think guys are ready for the move. Everyone seems on board with that. Whatever position we have to play, we have to go out and do it.’’
This makes a lot of sense, Anthony thrived as a power forward for the Knicks last year, able to take bigger defenders out on the wing and back down smaller ones. He had a PER of 24.8 at the four, 21.8 at the three. World Peace is a natural three and also brings a lot more defense to the starting lineup than Bargnani.
Woodson tried to make a big lineup of Anthony, Bargnani and Tyson Chandler work, but in the end seems to have wisely gone back to Anthony at the four. Bargnani struggled with his shot his last couple years in Toronto, shot 20 percent from three in the preseason. If he’s a stretch four who can’t stretch the floor, he’s not helping much.
So Anthony at the four it is. Not that he cares.
“It really doesn’t matter to me,’’ Anthony said of playing the 3 or 4. “I’ve been successful in this league at the 3. Last year, I was successful at the 4. Whatever adjustments I have to make, I have to make. I’m willing to do that.’’
- Report: Michael Jordan’s wife pregnant with twin girls 0
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) 4
- The Extra Pass: Golden State’s Elevator Screen plus Wednesday’s recaps 0
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Vintage Dwyane Wade sighting 2
- Heat come from 15 down to even season series with Pacers 30
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)