Oct 29, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
Just in case you had any doubt the NBA is a global league at the forefront of a global game…
There are a record 92 foreign players on NBA rosters to start the season hailing from 39 countries, the league announced. That is more than 20 percent of the league. The number is up from 84 players last season, and only three teams do not have a foreign player on the roster.
The numbers have grown as other countries have improved their basketball development programs, while at the same time NBA teams have invested more in scouting overseas looking for gems.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
As you might expect France, which just won the European Championships this summer behind Tony Parker, has the most NBA players with 10 (Nicolas Batum, Boris Diaw and Evan Fournier are among the others). Canada now has an impressive eight players, from Steve Nash to the last No. 1 pick Anthony Bennett (and they could add next year’s No. 1 pick as well if that holds to form).
Other big names include Kyrie Irving (he has dual United States and Australian citizenship), Serge Ibaka (Congo), Al Horford (Dominican Republic), Dirk Nowtizki (Germany), Luol Deng (Great Britain), and finally Spain gives us Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol and Ricky Rubio.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 0
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 39
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11