Oct 29, 2013, 11:36 AM EST
Just in case you had any doubt the NBA is a global league at the forefront of a global game…
There are a record 92 foreign players on NBA rosters to start the season hailing from 39 countries, the league announced. That is more than 20 percent of the league. The number is up from 84 players last season, and only three teams do not have a foreign player on the roster.
The numbers have grown as other countries have improved their basketball development programs, while at the same time NBA teams have invested more in scouting overseas looking for gems.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league on October, 30th. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts October 30th at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
As you might expect France, which just won the European Championships this summer behind Tony Parker, has the most NBA players with 10 (Nicolas Batum, Boris Diaw and Evan Fournier are among the others). Canada now has an impressive eight players, from Steve Nash to the last No. 1 pick Anthony Bennett (and they could add next year’s No. 1 pick as well if that holds to form).
Other big names include Kyrie Irving (he has dual United States and Australian citizenship), Serge Ibaka (Congo), Al Horford (Dominican Republic), Dirk Nowtizki (Germany), Luol Deng (Great Britain), and finally Spain gives us Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol and Ricky Rubio.
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 11
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13